Bottling - Rinsing bottles and filtering

mtnman22

I'm about to start my first bottling, and I have some pretty basic questions. (I'm trying not to call them stupid.)

-Is it essential to rinse the bottles before filling them with our gin? They look pretty clean currently.

-Assuming that it is essential, does anybody have any suggestions for the most economic and time effective approach to rinsing?

-I'm also looking for an economic and effective approach to filtering. I am just trying to keep out particulates. We are using a six bottle Mori filler.

Thanks in advance!

I'm about to start my first bottling, and I have some pretty basic questions. (I'm trying not to call them stupid.)

-Is it essential to rinse the bottles before filling them with our gin? They look pretty clean currently.

-Assuming that it is essential, does anybody have any suggestions for the most economic and time effective approach to rinsing?

-I'm also looking for an economic and effective approach to filtering. I am just trying to keep out particulates. We are using a six bottle Mori filler.

Thanks in advance!

With regard to cheap "bug-catching" filtration, I would recommend something like one of these. They are not as nice, sanitary, or versatile as the stainless steel filter housings, but for the price it'll do the job of keeping out particulates. You just need to set up the plumbing. E.g. pump -> filter (3/4" female NPT inlet/outlet) -> next process area (tank, filler, etc.)

You just need a 20" cartridge with AM-style end caps to put inside the housing. We sell those too. 5µ or 10µ will probably do the trick, and you'll have yourself a filtering setup for about $150.

We use a six head Mori filler. We are very happy with it overall other than trying to make fine adjustments on the fill level.

We air rinse our bottles with an ionized air washer. Our bottles come without any oily coating or major debris in them. We find that during shipping cardboard bits from the boxes will get into some of the bottles. The ionized air cleaner defeats static electricity and blows out the pieces. The one we use is from CCR Engineering. It works great other than the plastic pieces in the nozzles blowing out on occasion. http://designccr.com/systems/ionized-bottle-cleaner/

Forgot to mention - the speed that we run the two bottle air rinser at perfectly matches how fast we fill bottles on the six bottle Mori. One person operates each. We can put through about one 12 pack case per minute.

We have a stainless filter housing from TCW inline. It can hold a 20 inch filter but we generally use a 10 inch. We also went with the compressed air driven pump so it can be used safely with high proof spirits.

I am not the only one that rinses bottles with a small amount of the spirit being bottled.

I tip rinsings into a container beside the filler then tip the lot back to bulk tank at end of bottling.

I wait until the end because there is usually flock on the bottom of my whisky tank that I don't want to stir up and enter my filter.

If you rinse with water you need to invert bottle for quite a while or the remaining water can easily reduce the proof.

I use 1 micron filters and sometimes 0.5

• Thumbs up 1

We've been using a MiniJet triple plate filter but will probably switch to the 5 micron TCW cartridge. Seems a lot cleaner and less finicky. it would be super awesome if the pump on our XpressFill is strong enough to pull through the cartridge - but that seems too convenient.

• 2 years later...

Hello all, just taking a chance to let you know about this bottle washer for any size, any format. Will wash recycle or new bottle before refilling.  Wash with soap, rinse with sanitizer and final rinse with heated water 200 degree.

Mike  (450) 651 0909  /  1 844 651 0909.

https://youtu.be/elTIFMHQb3c