Obfuscation and Proofing

Putting this in plain English to see if I have it right and maybe make it easier for the next new distiller if I do.

• Obfuscation is defined in terms of grams per liter of spirit at any proof.
  • We are allowed to ignore the error caused by solids up to 4 grams per liter.
  • We may also determine the actual solids content and adjust for it.
  • Above 4 grams per liter, we have to determine the actual solids content and adjust for it.
  • Above 6 grams per liter, we have to specifically use the distillation method to determine actual solids content.

So we have a window between 2.5 grams per kilogram of spirit and 4 grams per liter of spirit where we have a liqueur that can be gauged by the hydrometer and thermometer method. While water is one kilogram per liter, spirits are of course less dense before sweetening. However, at 80 proof 2.5 g/kg is 2.37 g/L. Unless we're toeing the line, the difference between g/kg and g/L isn't really that important to us.

While above 6 grams per liter we need to find true obfuscation, there is still the matter of obfuscation leading to inefficiencies. If we ignore obfuscation when proofing, we end up using more proof gallons than we measure. Granted, the measurement is used for tax purposes and tax is generally the largest cost, it's something many of us can live with.

Did I miss or misread anything? Is this useful to anyone or look like it would be?