Cleaning, sanitizing before bottling...

AKBIGK

I believe you are allowed to sparge using air/other inert gas only, as opposed to sparge with air and water. something to do with residual water in the bottle affecting proof at bottling time.

We use a 2 prong air/water sparger with the water option disabled.

We were wondering what systems people were using to sanitize and dry their bottles before bottling. State of Alaska wants to see our methods for food safety requirements. Thank you.

Bare Distillery, Inc.

If spirits are to be filled into the bottles, are you not rendering them sterile? No need to sanitize bottles that came off the line molten, and hence sterile. Washing will introduce water which will change your ABV. Tell Alaska that they should understand that no bacteria which cause food-borne illnesses can possibly exist within a bottle of spirits.

• 1 year later...

What if you are making a sugary liqueur such as Kahlua, Baileys or Amaretto? Would that still apply or would it still need to be sanitized? Also what if u get a shipment of bottles that look like they could use a good rinse before introducing your beverage into them?

James

A shipment that looks like they need a rinse? Other than dust particles which you may air blow out, for bottles shipped in cartons, then you have a problem with your bottle supplier. I hope we are talking about commercial ventures here. Not your local Beer/Wine Hobby supplier who may be reselling used bottles and selling you essence to make your sweet liquers. You may read in several threads before this one, search on them, this subject that some bottles have a film on the outside to help protect the bottles if shipped in bulk. How many use a discarded distillate to pre-sanitize your bottles? Are these "what if's" or did you actually recieve a bulk shipment of dirty bottles. Let us know so we can all be on the look out.

• 2 weeks later...

No not a hobby. I am trying to figure this all out before I get started. I am in my research phase of what I want to make to start. I have a long list of questions about equipment and this is just one of them. I am also looking into steam kettles, labeling machines, capping machines, walk-in coolers, and transfer containers to be rolled into the coolers, just to name a few items. I just want to say this is a great forum and everyone has been very helpful.

Thank you,

James