Pumps for Molasses

We've sold a lot of pumps for moving molasses, and other viscous liquids like honey, wine must, etc.

Air diaphragm pumps are good for a viscous material with no solids, like molasses. They need to be cleaned frequently after use to prevent any material from getting left behind and hardening. Any gunk that hardens can prevent the ball check valves from forming a proper seal, which leaves the pump chugging and chugging but not actually moving anything.

Flex impeller pumps are also good, but you need to specify a high pressure impeller for best results, and perhaps a higher-HP motor than normal. Also, you must be careful to start slow/high-torque so you don't burn out the impeller while you're priming it.

The very best options are RPD and peristaltic pumps. They can produce high pressure (great for viscous materials), can run dry, and are relatively easy to clean – particularly peristaltics. Both are very pricey though, starting around $8k for a small 12 GPM pump.

In all cases, your best bet is to pump slow. Slower than you would with a water-like liquid. Otherwise you'll get cavitation and no movement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2016 at 11:13 PM, GeekSpirits said:

I dump mine without pre-heating. Takes about 30 minutes for 55 gallons

We use part of the hot water for our batch to flush it out. Takes 10 minutes and leaves a clean barrel.

On 4/25/2016 at 11:19 AM, Lassiter Distilling Co said:

Anyone have experience with pumps to move molasses from one tank to another? We were originally going to use gravity to move it, but are thinking pumps may offer some flexibility given our workspace.

On 4/25/2016 at 11:19 AM, Lassiter Distilling Co said:

Anyone have experience with pumps to move molasses from one tank to another? We were originally going to use gravity to move it, but are thinking pumps may offer some flexibility given our workspace.

My molasses comes in 3100 pound totes I bought a 40 x 40 digital scale made a  L-spout out of inch and a half copper  pipe to attach to outlet on the bottom of tote

I took a 40 x 48 inch piece of plywood screw to a pallet put the scale on it make sure scale is on before you put tote on lift with fork lift up to tank molasses is 12 pound to a gallon

so if you need say 50 gallon minus 600 pounds of 3100 = 2500 I paid $300 for my scale the only pump I could find worth buying was $5500 I saved $5200