What ever happened to iStill?

Wayward

• 2 weeks later...

Odin someone pointed your thread to me and asked me to comment on your hand sanitizer.

I hesitate but people's health are at risk so no disrespect meant but this is not close to the WHO recommended formula. 

It requires 96% ETHANOL as a base, not alcohols derived from feints.  It needs to be as close to pure ethanol as possible and not include other toxic components that could be harmful.  I don't know how much Ethanol you can recover from your feints especially if this was already refluxed but it's probably not worth the time to do so unless maybe they were from pot still runs.  But what you should be using is a GNS like product of that purity. You NEED  as pure Ethanol as possible for the base.  WHO calls for 96% Ethanol not other alcohols or by-products which are likely harmful on their own.

It requires specific amounts of Hydrogen Peroxide and Glycerol as well to work effectively and it needs to be 80% not 65%.  It also requires a 72 hour quarantine before use to allow the Hydrogen Peroxide time to work properly.

Please make sure to follow the steps exactly as outlines per https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf or other federal documents your country may impose as well. Many countries for example require the use of denatured alcohol.

The blog post: https://istillblog.com/2020/03/24/istill-distilleries-produce-hand-sanitizer/  and recipe for Sanitizer is non compliant as well as what's written above.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you and other distillers using your equipment produce a product worthy of use by following WHO formula or specific country regulations exactly as written.  In these world wide times it's important to produce a product that will be as effective as possible.

The WHO formula and production instructions are overkill and clearly meant for use in developing areas without access to modern clean facilities.

All this chatter on ADI is for US production of sanitizer.  iStill and Odin are not in the US.  ergo proost

It risks people's health when you are producing a santizer from feints which isn't Ethanol but contain other poisons. It matters when you don't use the correct components as they have been tested a specific way for effectiveness. These formulas didn't just pop up out of the blue, but a lot of time was spent back in 93/94 developing them to find out what is minimally needed to be effective.

When you agree to make a product per a specification you do just that and don't improvise when people's health and lives are at stake.

A lot of consideration goes into things like this, not just effectiveness of killing bacteria/virus but also things like what happens if a 1 year old ingests the product.  These any many other things have been thought through by doctors and chemists over the years that many people don't think of.

Don't make an inferior product or something that could be dangerous. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Read some more recent scientific studies of the WHO formula.  Including those that recommend reducing the glycerin and ABV, eliminating the hydrogen peroxide because of standard cleanliness.  Opinions are like sanitizer; some people have lots just because.

12 hours ago, daveflintstone said:

Read some more recent scientific studies of the WHO formula.  Including those that recommend reducing the glycerin and ABV, eliminating the hydrogen peroxide because of standard cleanliness.  Opinions are like sanitizer; some people have lots just because.

They don't know what they are talking about!  They are looking at things from ONE or TWO perspective and not all the different ways that WHO looks at things.  WHO relies on the top agencies and universities around the globe.

This formula is nothing new but has been studied and published in 1994 (and many new studies).  From the US Army to CDC, FDA & leading medical academics. Same with many other country's experts. Each component is there for a reason in a specific quantity.  These people study everything including how much glyserol it takes to keep skin from scaling and how this affects the spread of bacteria vs drying of hands.  How the Hydrogen Peroxide bonds with the Ethanol and changes it (for the better), how each component changes evaporation and skin contact time which affects it's effectiveness. How it affects a 1 year old or 90 year old and everything in between including temperature, humidity and climate on skin and spread of virus/bacteria.

This WHO formula wasn't just recently put together, but is based on 25+ years of extensive experience from around the globe costing millions upon millions of dollars of testing.  Everything is there for a reason regardless of what "one" other test says.  It's the accumulation of thousands of independent tests studying multiple different things.

Don't mess with the formulation, neither you, your doctor or any one agency knows better.

Regardless, you are NOT authorized to produce it any other way then as specified by your federal government, so it's a mute point.

8 hours ago, DrDistillation said:

They don't know what they are talking about!  They are looking at things from ONE or TWO perspective and not all the different ways that WHO looks at things.  WHO relies on the top agencies and universities around the globe.

This formula is nothing new but has been studied and published in 1994 (and many new studies).  From the US Army to CDC, FDA & leading medical academics. Same with many other country's experts. Each component is there for a reason in a specific quantity.  These people study everything including how much glyserol it takes to keep skin from scaling and how this affects the spread of bacteria vs drying of hands.  How the Hydrogen Peroxide bonds with the Ethanol and changes it (for the better), how each component changes evaporation and skin contact time which affects it's effectiveness. How it affects a 1 year old or 90 year old and everything in between including temperature, humidity and climate on skin and spread of virus/bacteria.

This WHO formula wasn't just recently put together, but is based on 25+ years of extensive experience from around the globe costing millions upon millions of dollars of testing.  Everything is there for a reason regardless of what "one" other test says.  It's the accumulation of thousands of independent tests studying multiple different things.

Don't mess with the formulation, neither you, your doctor or any one agency knows better.

Regardless, you are NOT authorized to produce it any other way then as specified by your federal government, so it's a mute point.

OMG.    so many words put together in such an interesting way.  preach it.  Even the WHO is not as certain of themselves as you are.  just wow.  Sit down, have a drink or six.

Anyhoo sorry for the thread hijack Odin.  Back to the world of iStill.  I think you have the longest thread here, so consider it a small break from reality.  hah, see what I did there

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the iStill 2000 early last year and got my distiller's license 1/1/2020. It was the best decision I made and it has been verified now that I'm producing high proof ethanol for hand sanitizers! Having absolute control over the distillation process to the point where I can decide what ABV I want out of the still and the iStill delivers! Reliability, the lowest production cost per liter product and outstanding flexibility. Oh! did I mention low maintenance cost? 

Especially now that everyones making hadnsanitizer, being able to produce 94-96% ABV alcohol is such an advantage!!    

• 2 weeks later...

Odin, do you want to comment on why you are using two digital (bluetooth) thermometers in the center (intermediate) section and what function they serve.  One I can get my teeth around, but two ???

We saw the J downcomers working similar to bubble plates as far as tails are concerned which makes sense because there is liquid "trapped" under the plate.

After a flush, how do you get the fluid out of the J trap?  The only way we found to do this was with air pressure.  Otherwise it stays filled with fluid.

Not a brand but a set of a distilleries that are one of the largest wholesale brands in the world.  We would both purchase as well as build/fabricate our own small scale equipment to test on for R&D.  We tried all different types of plates and downcomer designs.  What we generally found is any type that didn't naturally drain was both a sanitary issue as well as a "trap" and also would require grain free wort to be effective or risk blockage and/or flooding.  From memory (been years) the J type had a narrower range they performed well compared to other plate types.

As eluded to earlier, we couldn't pass inspection with standing liquids of any kind so we found that using an air purge could be employed to empty the traps.

2 hours ago, Odin said:

Glad air pressure works out for you. What set of distilleries is that and what's the wholesale brand?

Rather not say publicly due to NDA but I'll PM you.  But if you know the industry and read my bio it's probably not hard to figure out.  I will neither confirm or deny based on guesses publicly but anyone who knows the industry would be 99% spot on a guess.  Probably close to 20% to  25% of base spirits of everything sold on shelves in the USA comes from our distilleries. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like seeing the progress and continued support for your products. I'm surprised though that you don't receive any criticism for shipping them out uncovered like that. If I was receiving one of these I surely would want it to be a showpiece as well and would be very disappointed in the case of any damages, even scratches.  would expect at least a pallet cover stretch wrapped to the still, but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...