What ever happened to iStill?

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the first one of a series of three movies explaining how Single Malt Whisky is made on an iStill 500. The general outline of the process, and how we mash. Fermenting and distilling will be the

Here's a picture of three units ready to be dispatched to the crating company. One iStill 100 NextGen will go to Indonesia. The second 100 goes to Michigan, where it will serve a craft distillery as i

A good morning to y'all! We are starting another one of our 4-day workshops in a little over an hour here in Amsterdam. A total of 13 participants from - literally - all over the globe. Toda

Posted Images

The more to the right and/or up you go, the more flavor you create, so my choice is a pretty logical one. Sorry if it made your head spin, but then again, many of my posts have that tendency. ;)

Regards, Odin.

I bought the iStill 2000 early last year and got my distiller's license 1/1/2020. It was the best decision I made and it has been verified now that I'm producing high proof ethanol for hand sanitizers! Having absolute control over the distillation process to the point where I can decide what ABV I want out of the still and the iStill delivers! Reliability, the lowest production cost per liter product and outstanding flexibility. Oh! did I mention low maintenance cost? 

Especially now that everyones making hadnsanitizer, being able to produce 94-96% ABV alcohol is such an advantage!!    

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the great feedback, Ari!

On another note:

Today we are shooting three more video's to bring the iStill University Training for craft distillers online. The introduction will deal with goals and approach and the curriculum. The second video will be presenting the roadmap to craft distilling, where we present distilling as an interlinked process of a finite number of steps. The last video we'll be doing today, will dive into Odin's Theory of Distillation AKA the Holy Trinity of Distillation. The video's will be uploaded end of next week!

Regards, Odin.

88a8f87f-4d65-4e00-ab86-e6b76dd41103.jpg

Cocktails in times of Corona? Check out Rummieclub Distillery!

Maybe this is the kind of initiative that could be applied by other distillers as well?

Regards, Odin.
Hi there,

The countdown-clock is ticking! We will be introducing an exciting new product-line in less than six days! Reaching out to other segments. Using our amazing automation and control systems to upgrade something else then packed columns ... Wanna learn more? Use the link to register ...

Regards, Odin.

IMG_0641.jpg

We proudly announce the introduction a new still: the iStill Plated! What it is? A stunning looker, designed to produce balanced flavors controlled and efficiently ...

1-2.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

Odin, do you want to comment on why you are using two digital (bluetooth) thermometers in the center (intermediate) section and what function they serve.  One I can get my teeth around, but two ???

Good call! They were there for testing and we forgot to take them out. We have dedicated pt100 probes in the boiler, the neck of the column, and in the column and cooler. The two additional Bluetooths are not needed. Everything goes through the PLC.

Regards, Odin.

Tried to have the Google translator translate the article into English. Not sure I succeeded. "Jeans" should probably be "gins", but here it is the story of Cyprus's first micro-distillery and the challenges they face during this pandemic:

http://www.reporter.com.cy/local-news/article/674359/anti-tzin-paragyn-pleon-antisiptika-kai-charizoyn-ti-misi-toys-paragg?fbclid=IwAR0n25iQ6tJV9swNEtLtJkRm18_DDrbcbBgEeLi1kIN_9PLSy-DfJdDuTbk

Regards, Odin.

cache_846x3000_Analog_medium_674356_240809_252020.jpg

Nope. Easy to clean from the top of column CIP. Trick is to add enough water. No tails hold-up either. Not seeing how that's possible given certain temps in certain zones. Unless at end of run? I think tails infection (the late unwanted parts) in a perforated plate system are primarily  caused by entrainment.

We saw the J downcomers working similar to bubble plates as far as tails are concerned which makes sense because there is liquid "trapped" under the plate.

After a flush, how do you get the fluid out of the J trap?  The only way we found to do this was with air pressure.  Otherwise it stays filled with fluid.

Under what brand do you sell your plated stills? Or what brand with downcomers do you have? Curious to learn where the bad experience is related to.

In our system, you decide to either leave the plates in an alcohol rich environment at the end of the run. The heads program automatically cleans things up. Same for water cleaning and run after that. 1. Maintain a sanitized environment; 2. the heads removal program is used as additional cleaning cycle with high proof alcohol.

Not a brand but a set of a distilleries that are one of the largest wholesale brands in the world.  We would both purchase as well as build/fabricate our own small scale equipment to test on for R&D.  We tried all different types of plates and downcomer designs.  What we generally found is any type that didn't naturally drain was both a sanitary issue as well as a "trap" and also would require grain free wort to be effective or risk blockage and/or flooding.  From memory (been years) the J type had a narrower range they performed well compared to other plate types.

As eluded to earlier, we couldn't pass inspection with standing liquids of any kind so we found that using an air purge could be employed to empty the traps.