Air-cooled Condenser

Tom's Foolery

Are you aware of any distillers using air-cooled condensers? I mean just a copper coil (worm) that is not submerged in water?

Thanks,

Tom

I'm using one but I'm more of a hobbyist running a 3" X 80" column, works great, full control over temps.

Are you aware of any distillers using air-cooled condensers? I mean just a copper coil (worm) that is not submerged in water?

Thanks,

Tom

I don't - but I recently ran some measurements and calcs on the cooling power my 20 gal Col. Vaughn / Georgia Ridge still takes. Based on the temp rise and flow rate, it takes just under 1 ton of refrigeration power (about 3500W). That's the run average - some portions go up over 4kW. I'm sure you could shift enough cold air over enough copper tubing to transfer the heat - but I don't think it would be easy. Exchanging heat against air is a pain - at least compared to water.

Thanks,

Tom

You can air cool but the rule of thumb that I've been taught is the colder the worm, the better the product. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Korn Likker

You can air cool but the rule of thumb that I've been taught is the colder the worm, the better the product. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Korn Likker

I have heard that a slow cooling is better.

Also, I noticed that Anchor might have an air-cooled condenser.

Tom

• 1 year later...

I'd like to revive this thread. Is Anchor Distilling actually using air cooled coils in their production? Some of the pics I've seen of their setup seem to suggest that.

Has anyone here thoroughly investigated air cooling enough to intelligently discuss possibilities and limitations?