vodka resting/marrying/aging

daveflintstone

I searched the forum but didn't find any info about this.

After diluting down to vodka strength, 40%, is any resting/marrying/aging recommended before bottling? I'm not an idiot, and realize nobody "ages" vodka, but I recall reading something somewhere about allowing the vodka to rest a certain amount of time after dilution to bottling strength.

Perhaps I am simply confused about my past research. If not, please enlighten me.

I searched the forum but didn't find any info about this.

After diluting down to vodka strength, 40%, is any resting/marrying/aging recommended before bottling? I'm not an idiot, and realize nobody "ages" vodka, but I recall reading something somewhere about allowing the vodka to rest a certain amount of time after dilution to bottling strength.

Perhaps I am simply confused about my past research. If not, please enlighten me.

Dave,

The large commercial distillers often have their vodka sit overnight between diluting and filtering/bottling, but this is usually just as a result of scheduling. Vodka does not usually need to be rested after dilution, but if you notice any offensive or "defect" aromas coming off your vodka after dilution, you should let it rest at least 12 hrs in hopes that the aromas will dissipate. On the occasion that diacetyl is carried over into the spirits at a detectable level, the distiller will either rest the spirits/vodka or may resort to agitating or aerating the spirits to reduce this highly volatile component before bottling.

-Steve Wright

Dave,

The large commercial distillers often have their vodka sit overnight between diluting and filtering/bottling, but this is usually just as a result of scheduling. Vodka does not usually need to be rested after dilution, but if you notice any offensive or "defect" aromas coming off your vodka after dilution, you should let it rest at least 12 hrs in hopes that the aromas will dissipate. On the occasion that diacetyl is carried over into the spirits at a detectable level, the distiller will either rest the spirits/vodka or may resort to agitating or aerating the spirits to reduce this highly volatile component before bottling.

-Steve Wright

What you don't like butter flavored vodka?