Maryland State Laws

smac105

I am in the (very) early stages of trying to setup a DSP in Maryland. However, I cannot seem to find an answer as to what can and cannot be a distillery. I found the federal law stating that the distillery cannot be attached to a residence. I have called everyone from the liquor board in Maryland to the zoning commission. All seem to point me to the other.

Does anyone know of a resource to search commercial properties by manufacturing zoning (specifically in Maryland)?

Thanks in advance for your time and help! I am really excited to be a part of this forum!

smac105,

Like you, I am in the planning stages of a DSP in Maryland (Baltimore specifically). From my research, zoning maps can be found on local government websites for both Baltimore City and Baltimore County (and most likely for other counties, though I cannot verify that).

For Baltimore City: http://cityview.baltimorecity.gov/

For Baltimore County (requires downloading Silverlight): http://myneighborhood.baltimorecountymd.gov/

Baltimore City restricts distilleries to M-2 and M-3 zoning (medium and heavy manufacturing) and Baltimore County restricts them to MH zoning (heavy manufacturing, last I checked).

I will typically look at properties on CityFeet or Craigslist (among other sources) and cross-reference them with these zoning maps. If there is a way of directly searching for properties by zoning, I would love to know about it as well.

Hey moc11,

Glad to see that there is someone else trying to find the same info and having similar results. After posting this message, I did a lot of digging and did find those two sites...and they do not give you a really great way to search places by zoning...that would be too easy! haha

I actually called and spoke with a few zoning representatives in detail. From what I was told, there is not a designation for a DSP in Baltimore County (nor did the guy know what a DSP was). There are designations for breweries and wineries, but nothing specifically for distilleries.

This doesn't mean that you can't have a distillery in Baltimore County...just that you have to cut through a bit more red tape to get it approved.

Are you from Baltimore originally?

If I find out any other information that might make it easier, I will pass it along...it seems that we are traveling down the same road at the same time. I was thinking of joining the Maryland Distillers Guild. Are you a member or thinking of joining?