magical merlin osmosis

daveflintstone

The GE Merlin RO is very low priced, ~$350. Too good to be true? That's what I want to know. The salesman informed me that as long as the water pressure is high enough (>60psi, a $250 booster pump is available if not) it is perfect for producing batches of blending water, 700 gallons per day. You could use two and get 1400 gpd! I would put a softener before the RO due to high TDS and hard water (are those the same thing?).

Any experience with the Merlin? Otherwise I'm looking at a Titan 1000gpd with water softener at $4200. Be nice to save some money, but not at the expense of perfect water.

• 3 weeks later...

The GE Merlin RO is very low priced, ~$350. Too good to be true? That's what I want to know. The salesman informed me that as long as the water pressure is high enough (>60psi, a $250 booster pump is available if not) it is perfect for producing batches of blending water, 700 gallons per day. You could use two and get 1400 gpd! I would put a softener before the RO due to high TDS and hard water (are those the same thing?).

Any experience with the Merlin? Otherwise I'm looking at a Titan 1000gpd with water softener at $4200. Be nice to save some money, but not at the expense of perfect water.

I have a Merlin. I've had it for about a year but have not been in full production yet. In the usage I've had it has proved to work very well. The only issue I have had is with water pressure. If I am filling a tank or using a lot of water elsewhere it drops my pressure too low and the Merlin stops producing. I don't have the best pressure to start with though.

I have a water softener and a carbon filter in line prior to the Merlin. You should have a carbon filter in line for any RO system.

I have a Merlin.

Our water pressure is decent, and I'd estimate we get 250 gpd from the Merlin. 700 gpd is a surprising volume to me.

It's an excellent way to get started for low volume production, but I'd recommend a bladder tank that it fills rather than using it on-demand. Its throughput will otherwise drive you nuts.

-A

• 9 years later...