Still design

Troy A-Z

On 5/26/2017 at 5:56 AM, Troy A-Z said:

I am new here and being a Mechanical Designer I am curious about some of the design features of a still. So on a column still, is there any type of formula or rule of thumb to go by with the diameter of the column in relation to the diameter of the base/pot?

The distillation process cannot be reduced to "one formula" :)

I am engaged in the design and calculations of distillation equipment and continuous columns. I have the development of a vacuum distiller. So, in order to be able to quickly calculate (in 10-15 minutes) the entire distillation installation, I had to create a huge spreadsheet, inside which I can simulate different processes and get answers: what are the bottlenecks? What will the alcohol performance be? how much steam and cooling water is required?

This is not mechanics :) it is thermodynamics, the theory of strength, the theory of steam outflow in different holes and a lot of other knowledge. Unfortunately, not everything can be calculated accurately. Therefore, the calculation that I receive, I then consider it from the point of view of my experience and intuition :) and add the necessary "reserves" to those parts of the structure that I do not really like (narrow throat).

The easiest way is to make a quick calculation using the input parameters of alcohol productivity per day, or to recalculate what happens if the tank is increased by XXXX gallons? Will the rest of the equipment have enough performance? If you have any questions, please contact me.