17A

I use fermcap but have never had that issue in a steam jacketed still. 

What kind of ferment are you distilling? Some malt wash will foam a ton if to much heat is put to it, causing it to foam all the way to your condensor

Have you cleaned your condensor recently? If you got any foam into your condensor, the next distillation you do will pick up some of that foam and carry it with the distillate

1 hour ago, captnKB said:

I use fermcap but have never had that issue in a steam jacketed still. 

What kind of ferment are you distilling? Some malt wash will foam a ton if to much heat is put to it, causing it to foam all the way to your condensor

Have you cleaned your condensor recently? If you got any foam into your condensor, the next distillation you do will pick up some of that foam and carry it with the distillate

I`m doing steam injected. Plain corn wheat and rye. I`m only using the anti -foam in the mash none in the still and only using 1/2 oz. per 40 gallons..Starts out white in the distillation run then gets darker as you go..Almost looks like tar

• 2 weeks later...

We run our own anti foam mixture through our DI steam column for our Rye and Bourbon (head frame- you should get one)

We doctor ours up though, use half of the volume of the antifoam (usually five star or fermcap) and make up the rest of volume with corn oil (and actually wheat oil for our cheated borubon as well)

No problems here.

We occasionally use Wesmar's D-Foam.  I don't use the stuff unless I think it's absolutely necessary.  Whereas the anti-foaming agent  does a great job of keeping the foam down, the side effect is that the proteins, which cause the foaming, coagulate into ropy strands which get tangled on the coils; this makes the wash still much more difficult to clean.

• Thanks 1