Moonshine (corn whiskey)

AB1965

8 hours ago, SlickFloss said:

Define "the taste of gin". It is a blank canvas waiting for you to steam infuse or macerate any expression onto it. If you don't like juniper hide it in the botanical bill completely or use it as a minority complement. Or don't make it its your distillery.

How long are you aging your whiskeys for? You can be more lenient on your heads cut on certain whiskeys depending on your plan for aging. i.e. when we lay down our malt whiskeys in vintage cooperage and know that we are going to let those barrels really get gray in the beard (9, 10, and 12 year minimum plans) you can be more lenient on your heads cut because those are going to volatilize out first. Just something to keep in mind

Minimum of 2 years but moving to 4 as a standard ;) 

On 4/17/2018 at 11:48 AM, Southernhighlander said:

What Moonshine means today.  Those who make legal moonshine and those who drink it are carrying on the traditions of individualism and the right to liberty.  They are throwing dirt in the face of those who want to dictate rules for the rest of us and tell us what we should and should not be calling the spirits that we create in our own distilleries.  They are telling the snobs and those who think that they are better than us, that they can go to hell.  Shine on brothers and sisters in the North, West and South and all over the world.  Shine on!!!

AMEN BROTHER!!! A-FN-MEN!

-Scott

• Thumbs up 1

2 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

A beautiful royal blue macro-glitter that emphasizes my rugged individualism. :)

Honestly -- green is where it is I think... Blue is so last year...... 

1 hour ago, Southernhighlander said:

I don't think the blue macro glitter would go over well.  It's to cityfied and appears to indicate metrosexuality instead of rugged individualism?

You wanted rugged individualism? How about sand? :) Sands all natural too - and gluten free!

• 3 weeks later...

Back on Moonshine. In Argentina there is a guy who imports moonshine from the US and sells it online. He sells about 1400 bottles a month and charges $60 a bottle for it ( a lot of that is import duties).  So moonshine is high on my product list. Actually in 3 days I will do my latest strip of moonshine.  

The excise is around 15% but the controls on small distilleries are pretty light and the very few small distilleries that are here sell most of their stuff online. The excise was just increased from 5 to 15%.    The larger micro distilleries, ie up to about 40,000 bottles track every sale but Argentina is a bit different in that about 40% of the economy is in the black or on a cash basis.  The wine industry is very highly regulated but small distilleries not so much.  There are only 3 medium size distilleries and two micros, in Argentina making whiskey. A couple of larger ones making all sorts of booze.  And then there are the majors like Pernot Ricard and Diagio.  

18 hours ago, DonMateo said:

The excise is around 15%

15% of the sales price? Like VAT is calculated? That seems strange, I thought most countries base the excise for spirits on the amount of ethanol present.