Mash Protocols

Sudzie

Question, when we do a cook, (lets call it "A") and bring our water to 190 and add our corn to start our cook and then drop temp, yada, yada, yada, finish around 1.060 we get a nice dry grain cap about 2 " thick and you dont see anything going on at all and will finish in 4 days with the cap dropping and end SG usually .998 yield is great.  No problems.  Been doing it this way for 5 years.   Or, (lets call this one "B") we bring our water to 100 and then add our corn and continue raising the temp to 190 cook for the same time the rest of the cook is the same Yada, yada, yada, finish around 1.060 we get a wet creamy, very active bubbling for the 4 days a wet cap will come and go, finishes at .998 pretty much the same yield and flavor.

So what i'm in search for info is what is actually happening with the grains during the cook????  cant figure it out. both great flavor, good yield, etc. "B" is a little shorter time.  

side note we use enzymes and do a sour mash, all added at the same time, temp, quantity between the two

its winter here in Maine and l have some time to play around with things and just love learning more.......

• Thumbs up 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Sudzie. I just stumbled across this by accident. I wonder if the differences you are seeing are due to a longer optimal steeping time of the corn grist that will allow for more complete hydrolization of starches, thereby making for a more rapid early ferment? Assuming that there are still viable enzymes in the finished mash, which there should be if you're using exogenous enzymes, there is a continuation of the saccharification process during fermentation. Over the course of four days this would even out between the two processes, but perhaps you're "front-loading" more available sugars in scenario "B". Your enzyme manufacturer should have a chart of ideal pH & temp that "B" process may be more aligned with than "A". Just a thought.

• Thumbs up 1