xpress fill reviews xf460hp

HottyToddy77

We purchased the regular XF460 approximately 16 months ago and we like it. The only thing we don't like is that all 4 bottles have to be filled at the exact same time which leads to a few moments of rapid paced movement of removing and replacing bottles and then waiting about 25 seconds for the fill to be completed. This can be a benefit though as it may give you time to cork and band the bottles while you wait.

We have needed minor service that was able to be resolved by a brief phone call. It's not a complaint, it's a compliment as they picked up the phone and the person answering knew the machines inside and out.

Fills are very accurate.

We are thinking of buying a second unit so that we can fill bottles quicker.

2 hours ago, HottyToddy77 said:

what do you do for filtering?

We run PALL filters between the spirits tank and the unit.  One minor disadvantage of a timed flow unit is that you have to keep a slight eye on the fill levels because as the filters get clogged up their flow decreases.  It's not much of a problem if you're only doing a thousand bottles of vodka at a time, but if you're doing something with a high sediment load you would potentially have to increase the fill time slightly if there's too much resistance in the filter. If that happens, a couple quick presses of a button are all you need.  For vodka we run a 1um followed by a .22um and have no troubles.

We calibrate ours to the weight of the spirit we're bottling. The nice thing about digital control vs setting an overflow nozzle height is you can be very precise and it's quick to adjust.

You will need to adjust or calibrate any bottle filler before you bottle to ensure you are meeting the fill standards. Since the temperature of the spirit changes day to day you need to make minor adjustments each time you bottle, and sometimes in the middle of a session.

23 hours ago, Skaalvenn said:

We run PALL filters between the spirits tank and the unit. 

Skaalvenn,

I am very curious as to your setup with this - what are the housings that you use for these filters between the tank and your Xpressfill unit? Our barrel aged gin is getting some fine char particulate coming through the standard xpressfill screen, that we want to eliminate.

Thanks

7 hours ago, Silversmith said:

Skaalvenn,

I am very curious as to your setup with this - what are the housings that you use for these filters between the tank and your Xpressfill unit? Our barrel aged gin is getting some fine char particulate coming through the standard xpressfill screen, that we want to eliminate.

Thanks

That screen is only designed to protect the pump and the valves inside your filler, it is not designed to filter your product.

You can buy filter housings off ebay, but you have to be careful with used ones as they could have been used in non-beverage applications which is a no-go. St Pats of Texas sells complete units and filters. You'll want to get a cheap pre filter before the pall filter as you don't want to clog up an expensive one all the time. You can get a 10" stainless steel water filter housing and use cheap filters with materials rated for ethanol. Be wary of the ones with plastic end caps as the glues are oftentimes not compatible with ethanol.

21 hours ago, Silversmith said:

Skaalvenn,

Thanks

We sell a 2 x 30" housing setup on a cart that can be used to go through a cheap pre-filter and more expensive final filter as @Skaalvenn suggests in a single pass. Most of the distilleries that we work with that filter are doing so in the 5-10 µ range, using the Graver QMC polypropylene cartridge. Then some go finer to an absolute final membrane filter like the ZTEC WB, if necessary.

Some other distilleries have issues with colloidal haze forming, so they use a positively charged filter. Something like the GFC, or a plate and frame filter using DE sheets.

• 4 weeks later...

I like my XF460, zero issues with reliability, no repairs required so far.  One advantage of the volumetric filler is that you will see how much variation is in your glass.  Two complaints, 1) I have one spout that fills slightly less than the other three and 2) It is difficult to clean because there is a labyrinth of tubing & a manifold system that traps whatever liquid you run through it.  Now that I'm past the warranty period, I'm going to modify the plumbing to address these issues.