Bad tasting gin

jrfalcon

20 hours ago, jrfalcon said:

Making our own, 50 gals

I know nothing about your still but if you distill it to 190 it'll be fairly neutral. Try it and find out. When we run our gin we through out the product at the end that starts tasting a bit muddy. Less expensive than stripping flavor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 8:15 PM, jrfalcon said:

When working on a gin recipe, if the gin is not to my liking , will redistilling it take out all the botanical flavors, or just dump it. 

It is highly unlikely that any amount of redistilling will remove all the flavor from your gin. Especially on "micro-distilling" equipment. I would recommend starting with a bench top still or a small 6L still to try test batches. That way you can afford to dump it if you don't like it. 

• 3 weeks later...

You can also try a scaled up version of the moonshiner's mason jar method. If you have suitable containers, you can separate your run into several time/volume units to keep/toss/blend to taste.

I would also recommend a small bench top still for recipe development until you've got your recipe where you want it. Then you can scale it up and tweak it as you need. That way you're not wasting a lot of your base spirit. You're not going to easily be able to get the botanicals out of your gin through redistillation. You're better off starting over since any residuals left in there are going to throw off your recipe going forward anyway.