Hallelujah! We got our TTB Permit

Terry at RVS

The federal government has seen fit to grant us a DSP Permit. We are sending in our application to the great State of New York!

Any and all advice on sourcing bottles, labels and tops would be appreciated. Hoping to post our open hours in early summer. 

Thanks to many of you on this forum, your guidance has been invaluable.

Terry at Rock Valley Spirits

Stone Background.jpg

Ill second Paulson Supply for t-tops!  We also use Amorim Cork for natural cork topppers as Paulson only does plastic/synthetic.

OI has been good to work with and my only complaint is that they ship to us direct with long-haul independent truckers that always show up in the biggest possible truck, never have a lift gate (even if you request it), wont back up to our dock, occasionally refuse to enter the city we are located in, etc.  Compared to other companies who shift LTL frieght (Old Dominion, YCR. etc) whos drivers deliver to us more regularly and generally seem to be much more helpful.  

HedgeBird, I feel your pain. We are pretty remotely located and most truckers refuse to attempt our long driveway, so they off load right on the road (and always deliver during a blizzard). Fortunately, our road gets very little traffic so we don't get complaints about tying up the roadway. I'll keep the shipping in mind when ordering.

20170209_100553.jpg

Thanks MG, we thought we were going to need cooling, but our 560 foot well through solid bluestone came in as a gusher and we now have the purest water coming out at 49 degrees!

Great, just kinda keep watch on your well level, not so much for still runs as mash cooling, where I've had customers that have had their wells running dry.

If necessary, you can fill up totes and get a small chiller and run it down to colder than 49F and recirculate it and when your done, use the water for heating or mash fills.

Good luck!

On 4/27/2018 at 10:25 AM, MG Thermal Consulting said:

Great, just kinda keep watch on your well level, not so much for still runs as mash cooling, where I've had customers that have had their wells running dry.

If necessary, you can fill up totes and get a small chiller and run it down to colder than 49F and recirculate it and when your done, use the water for heating or mash fills.

Good luck!

This "small chiller" intrigues me. I'm still in planning/permitting and will be starting out small enough that a couple 275 gallon totes will suffice for volume - but where I am we'll be hitting 100 days soon and tap water will approach 80 degrees....I'd like to have some sort of pass-thru continuous chiller between tote and condenser.

A booster chiller will work if configured properly. 

I have a couple 5 HP chillers and a 4 HP, all either factory reconditioned or new, customer cancellations.

Prices vary between $7k and $8K plus freight.  All are 230/3/60 and one is located at a customer's location in N.CA.

Prices do not include freight.

On 5/2/2018 at 8:28 AM, MG Thermal Consulting said:

A booster chiller will work if configured properly. 

I have a couple 5 HP chillers and a 4 HP, all either factory reconditioned or new, customer cancellations.

Prices vary between $7k and $8K plus freight.  All are 230/3/60 and one is located at a customer's location in N.CA.

Prices do not include freight.

The 3 in 230/3/60 is going to be prohibitive if that signifies 3 phase - at lease at startup, anyway. If this grows to the point of becoming my sole income, I will upgrade the single phase when and if I significantly increase capacity.

That said - how about this - is there something single phase 220v in the neighborhood of a couple grand that I could use looped to an insulated tote that I could draw from the tote, chill the water and return to the tote that would have the cooling capacity to take 275 gallons of water at an ambient 90 degrees and get it down to at least 65 degrees even if it took a few hours to do so? I could then make a run drawing from that tote returning hot water to another tote, then chill that tote for the next run since I would not be running back to back days.....