cork diameter

Jeff

Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions on the optimum diameter cork size in mm when using synthetic corks as far as oversizing in comparison to the internal diameter of the bottle mouth?

Jeff

Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions on the optimum diameter cork size in mm when using synthetic corks as far as oversizing in comparison to the internal diameter of the bottle mouth?

Jeff

jeff: I'm Kevin Dunbar with Tapi. I can help you if you wish, we are a large manufacturer of synthetic bartops. Call me at 610 222-9109.

Jeff,

half a millimetre larger then the inside diameter of the bottle will do if you are using a T-Top (Bar Top) synthetic closure which I assume you are or will be using. You measure the inside at one millimetre going in the bottle and the cork at the same point where it will touch from your previous measurement. This should always give you more or less 1/2 a millimetre for easy insert and pull out.

But I always recommend you send a sample bottle to your cork supplier. Before doing so you should measure the inside diameter of the bottle as I explained above on a dozen bottle. The reason is that there is always a +/- tolerance in ID size, by taking the average you'll be sure to get the right fit for your bottle.

I hope this will help you some!

Cheers!

Rick

When left to my own smart-butt devices, I usually make a mistake before being successful. I have some closures that do not fit any of my bottles. That meaning although the shape of a bottle from one manufacturer may be similar to anothers, the Finish may be different diameter mm.

I made a bottle purchase, for a short run product, from Rick at United and asked him to provide the proper T-top. It was on his plate to provide the proper size. That was easy and they were priced correctly.