Pre-Starting a Distillery Questions

Absinthe Pete

Howdy, First post on this forum. Hello. Anyway I've always wanted to go pro and open a distillery. As much as I've read over the decades I've never come across a document that tells me restrictions and regulation regarding the starting of a distillery. If someone could direct me to a website that says these things I'd appreciate it, the ttb doesn't seem to have those documents as far as I can tell and I've tried to navigate through it.

The main question I have is, is it possible to run a distillery at my house (professionally and legal of course) as this would negate me having to rent premises, there would only be me working there?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. Sorry but you cannot run a distillery from your home.

For the regs (regulations) you can find them at http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/spirits-regs.shtml

You'll want to pay particular attention to 27 CFR Part 19 Distilled Spirits Plants.

Subpart F, says you can't operate in a dwelling.

Over here at the TTB, is the application packet. There's all sorts of documents to download, and looking them over will give you an idea of the kinds of information you'll need to provide TTB. I read somewhere that someone thought it was like joining the CIA. The front page of my original website said "Distilleries only crazy people start". I think that's really true.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try and start a microdistillery where you live, only that you need to understand what you might be getting into. You're basically starting a business, one that is heavily regulated. Maybe any business is difficult to start, but distillery seems more fraught than others.

Good luck.

As much as I've read over the decades I've never come across a document that tells me restrictions and regulation regarding the starting of a distillery.

Hi Pete,

I know you specifically asked about the TTB and running the distillery from home, but also needed are restrictions and regulation from your state. Depending on the state you are in, you can usually find info at the Dept. of Revenue in your state. Or simply Google "(your state) distillery laws"

Todd

Peter,

I think you need to re-read what others have previously said.

If you're serious about doing this, then you're still a long way off from "looking for cheap rent". You need research both the regulations (Federal, state and local) and the market you intend to sell your product in then put together a detailed business plan that includes a realistic financial model of potential revenues, cash flows, etc.

Most new businesses fail due to poor prior planning ... and distilleries take far more planning then many other types of businesses due to the nature of the business and the regulatory enviroment that we operate in.

Have you ever managed or run a business before?

Stephen

I often compare the act of opening and running a craft distillery to that of a notable chef who would like to open their own restaurant. Your time is spent no longer as a chef, but as a businessperson.

If your thoughts to open are genuine and you are willing to do the work, a great place to start is by rubbing shoulders with the distilling community.

Go to Bill Owens' ADI conference next week in Louisville. There are several presentations and discussions with regard to what you need to know. Many vendors of what you need to have. Also the TTB people are there to help.

Tirador and others, I appreciate the responses and the info you are providing, but "Oh, well time to start looking for cheap rent." was just an expression I was using, a humorous response that didn't come across as such. I wasn't ACTUALLY conveying that I was at that stage. Believe me I'm starting to have an idea of what it's going to take. I'm years off. And it's Pete not Peter, Peter is that thing between 50% of the populations legs. :)

That's good to hear Pete.

I'm a pretty seasoned business person with years of corporate business and several successful entrepreneurial efforts under my belt. I'm faculty at a major univeristy's business school too. I don't mind giving a little ad-hoc advice as long as it doesn't take up too much of my time, so feel free to ask questions from time to time if you like. In fact I'm assisting two small businessmen that are trying to open microbreweries right now ...

I would strongly recommend, as others have, that if you can attend the upcoming ADI event that you do. If you can't, there will be others.

You should also reach out to the local Small Business Development Center (SBDC) in your area if there is one. All 50 states have them so I'm sure there's one someplace in your state. They should be able to provide you with a lot of assistance with business and financial planning, etc.

Anyway, good luck.

Stephen

gawd, I hate the term "reach out". Why oh why does it burn me so? I wish I knew, until then I may CONTACT someone about it. or maybe CALL or WRITE them. Goodness knows it can be helpful to TALK to someone. If I see someone struggling in the ocean I will definitely reach out to them. safety first.