Canadian-Made Equipment

DistillerieMontRoyal

Starting a new distillery in Montreal and would love to source as much "Made In Canada" equipment as possible. I'm talking about producers that can legitimately be said to go from raw material to final product - in Canada. Including stills, tanks, glass bottles, lab equipment, and everything down to the forklift.

I'm interested to know which Canadian suppliers you've worked with.

We tried for the same. We also have an apollo mill.

There are several companies that make mash tuns and tanks like Criveller but the only Canadian still manufacturer we identified is Specifical Mechanical.

Specific Mechanical is in Victoria and make a skid mounted system. Unfortunately, when we were looking at it, it didn't meet our needs as a grain to glass vodka / gin producer. They were good to talk to and are worth a call.

Ripley Stainless in Summerland BC makes stainless tanks. But you're probably better off with Criveller since you're in Quebec. The tanks we got from Criveller were well made and well priced but they sourced them out of china.

Cansci out of Surrey BC does alot of glassware for your lab supplies.

If repurposing tanks is an option as well, and if you are dead set about Canada manufacture, DeLaval has been making beautiful sanitary dairy tanks, blend tanks, jacketed pasteurizers, etc for decades.  Bulk Tanks are easily repurposed as jacketed fermenters.  As a bonus, they are usually insulated as well.  Larger steam jacket pasteurizers are easily converted into mash tuns.  Most all of their tanks are heavy gauge stainless and will probably last a century, no tinfoil-thin stainless here.  Just a thought.

Fantastic feedback.. thanks everyone. 

@Silk City Distillers, interesting idea to re-purpose dairy equipment. I'd read about this early in my research, but it kind of slipped out of my memory.

Glass bottles have been deceptively difficult items to source from Canada... seems like we should have this capability in-country. Anyone have an experience here?

On 8/15/2018 at 1:01 PM, DistillerieMontRoyal said:

Glass bottles have been deceptively difficult items to source from Canada... seems like we should have this capability in-country. Anyone have an experience here?

any US or Canadian domestically produced glass is going to be expensive....... Big time expensive..... I have used Mexican Suppliers for purchases over 1M units before to great success, just as good as chinese lower lead times and cheaper shipping! Glass may be the one part of our canadian puzzle you cannot figure out...... Ill tell you for sure though you won't want to figure it out price wise when you see the difference....

• 4 weeks later...

we do use Chinese manufacturers, however we are a Canadian Company that stands behind out products, and our engineering.

Cage and Sons is a fully Canadian owned family business, that is capable of covering from initial consulting, through production all the way to final bottled product. process engineering, equipment production and training on your equipment.

for US, Canada or further afield, we can do piece or turn Key. 

• 2 months later...