Clarification on Aging Lengths

derek.duf

I've been reading and re-reading TTB guidelines and searching on the form, and keep confusing myself further when I think I have it figured out.  If someone could help me to clarify this hypothetical I would really appreciate it.

Say you want to make a Rye Whiskey.  TTB states it has to be produced at less than 160 proof from a mash of at least 51% rye, and stored at less than 125 proof in charred new oak containers.  Ok, so doesn't say anything about an age requirement to be called rye whiskey.

Then in Statements of Age, TTB states that rye whiskey is required to have a specific statement of age if it is less than 4 years old.  So if you aged your rye whiskey in a new oak barrel for one day, then on your label you have to say aged 1 day in oak?  So anything from 1 day up to 3 years 364 days have to have the aging time listed on the label?  Is this correct?

They way you have it now is correct. It only has to touch oak to be a Rye Whiskey. The most common misconception was that in order for a bourbon to be a bourbon it had to age for so many years. The only age requirement for any whiskey is when it is "Strait" it has to be aged for at least 2 years. 

Label examples:

"Rye Whiskey aged 6 months"

"Straight Rye Whiskey aged 2 years"

"Straight Rye Whiskey"         <-------(with no age statement it guarantees it was aged at least 4 years)

• Thumbs up 3