3 phase power and single phase heating elements

tlstew

Hey guys, since I've legally been able to use my still in my commercial space in the last month, I'm having fits getting enough heat to my pot. The situation is that my power supply is 208v 3-phase and my 60A control panel is not 3-phase, it was intended for 220/240 single phase, so everything is getting derated by 20%. My pot is a jacketed boiler with propylene glycol diluted down to 60% (~230 degree boiling point) with 2 5500 watt elements.

Currently at full power, the 5500w elements are consuming ~19.1 amps each, where typically with a 220v power supply would draw around 25A of power. That extra 5 amps would supply my tank the additional umph that I need to get the proper amount of vapor rise required.

The questions from this are:

• Could I increase the wattage of the elements to compensate for the derating? The 2 sizes I've found at either 6kw or 9kw, nothing in-between
  • At 9kw (x2), I believe I'll be exceeding the limits for a 60A circuit, even with the derating, correct?
  • During spirits collection, I only have 1 element running and since I'm lacking the needed power during this phase, can I use 9kw only and use the 5.5kw along with the 9kw during my warm-up phase. Any concerns with the 2 different ratings being used at the same time?
  • Swapping out to a 3-phase panel feels like a bigger problem as heating elements in the 3-phase configuration all seem to be made in China for non-standard use.

Any other suggestions?

Just reading your post make sure I understand this correctly.

Your power supply (From the building) is 208V 3-phase
Your control panel (On your equipment) is 220/240V single phase rated for 60A
You have 2 5500W heating elements, are they 3-phase or single phase elements? I would imagine single phase but just want to be sure.

Have you gotten a quote for a single phase line run over to the equipment?
It is always recommended to run the power and phase the equipment was designed for. 
In terms of other elements, Its hard to say without any pictures of their connection method/design implementation.
Do you have a make on the manufacturer of the still you can share for reference?

Steve

Correct, my source id a 200A 3-phase 208v sub panel and my custom built still control panel is single phase 220v 60A.

And yes, the elements are single phase. It is very common for industrial equipment to run derated at 208v as it prolongs motor life.

Getting a single phase line ran is not an option, that's not how it works, but I could implement a converter in my control panel. Haven't done that before, but it is something to investigate.

Since the panel is custom built (by me), it's my challenge to solve.

Thank you Steve!

I gotcha makes sense. In terms of elements, there might be some options for different elements.

There should be no issues running two different elements provided your controller is setup correctly.