Grain Mold Inhibitors

mission5

Does anyone know if sprayed on mold inhibitors for flaked maize/corn is dangerous? I have some flaked corn that has been sprayed with a mold inhibitor called Rout, that I got from a commercial feed mill. Wondering if I can use it in my grain bill without any issues?

I would not use it. Mold inhibitors will most likely effect your yeast. Be sure you buy from a responsible farmer who picks his corn late enough that it's dry or has a dryer. If stored at 12 percent moisture, no need to inhibit mold. And do not buy grain until you have educated yourself as to what you need. But a bushel weight tester and a moisture meter. And do not buy in more grain than you will use in a certain period of time. Another good rule of thumb is only grind just before you need the meal. Ground grain gets moist fast and stale. Whole kernel is better. I am amazed at the amount of small distillers popping up with no though given to milling equipment. Whiskey still and mills go hand in hand. Always have. Foolish to have one and not the other.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like I should just stay with whole corn since that is not treated, just the rolled.flaked. Was hoping I could use a steam rolled corn and not have to go with normal cook and rest. May named to seek out another source on the flaked idea.

Rout 68 uses propanoic acid and ammonium propionate as preservatives. Propanoic acid is just a simply carboxyl acid (CH3CH2COOH), and both compounds are safe for human consumption in low doses. Add a cup of salt to your mash and it will make a soapy scum that floats on top...you can skim it off or leave it (there is evidence that the resulting residue may be a good yeast nutrient).

Just so you know, guys, there is a fair amount of this stuff in commercial breads. It's pretty innocuous...makes a bit of a rancid smell (the bacteria that produce this stuff is in your sweat, and in swiss cheese.) but that will disappear once it's mashed.

I'm sure there's lots of info on the web.