who's aging in 53gal new barrels and how long....

jlevac

I'm just wondering who has experience in aging whisky/bourbon in new 53 gal barrels? I'm interested in knowing if after 3 years, it is palatable or near ready? (Obviously longer can be better...). Looking for thoughts on how long a new 53g barrel will take compared to a 15g or 30g barrel...

thanks

J

There are many variables that will change a barrels ability to age whiskey in any amount of time. Humidity, temperature fluctuation, amount of char, length of time the wood was "seasoned", etc. From what I can tell many of the smaller distilleries have to weigh a couple things out like- how does it taste? And how soon can I get it out (start making money on it)? I would agree with TetonVodka that most of what I have seen is 18-24 month old whiskey. Three would be great, but let your palate have the ultimate say. And always save a few back to see what some longer aging could do!

Being in Canada, we have to age whisky for 3 years. I just wanted to make sure that 3 years would at least give enough time to even consider selling a palatable product. We all talk about small barrels in the craft world but not much about the 53..

3 years is great. My best results ever were on a barrel that just didn't taste good after 4 years...but after 8...yummy!

3 years is great. My best results ever were on a barrel that just didn't taste good after 4 years...but after 8...yummy!

So how long did it take you to make a nice bourbon in a 15 or 30 gal... just curious

J

I haven't had any luck with bourbon in small barrels, and if you're going 30, just save the money and go into a 53. With malt, wheat, and corn whisky I have had good results with small barrels. Rye, not so much.