Hello from Virginia

Hello to everyone!  I am a new member to the group and just got our TTB license this week.  Now the real work begins.  As much as I have read and studied (practiced some too) on the subject of distilling and running a small distillery, I realize just how little I actually know...about everything!   I hope to lean on the group to help with simple questions that I am stuck on or really need some expertise from the group.  I also hope to contribute what I learn or have experienced with the group as well.

My question is about proofing and certified instruments.  Keep in mind that we are trying to be budget conscious but not cheap...which hydrometer/alcohol proofing tools are best?  I  kind of like the digital meters that do it all but not liking the $3,500 price tag.  Are there other models that are approved for use by the TTB?  Or should I just purchase the wide array of glass instruments instead?  If I do purchase the glass hydrometers, what alcohol range instruments should I purchase.  We will be making clear spirits, gin and whiskey.  I have read some of the other comments and still not sure what direction is best, any insight would be appreciated.