Rum Fermentation Failing

Rancastar

11 minutes ago, FIVE x 5 Consulting said:

I'll just mention that technically, pitching the yeast outside of your DSP premises is not legal. People who are making rum from fresh press cane juice do it out of necessity, and TTB would have a hard time proving it was done, but I wouldn't recommend making a story out of it, if you do choose to go that route :)

I hear you guys talking about all the TTB regulations and reporting requirements and I wonder how you get anything done. Here the only thing the government cares about is that there's a tax seal on every bottle so they get their cut. 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FIVE x 5 Consulting said:

I'll just mention that technically, pitching the yeast outside of your DSP premises is not legal. People who are making rum from fresh press cane juice do it out of necessity, and TTB would have a hard time proving it was done, but I wouldn't recommend making a story out of it, if you do choose to go that route :)

Yeah he's in the Galapagos islands, I'm pretty sure he isn't worried about the TTB. 
With the backlog on all of the DSPs out there that need to be inspected, I doubt the TTB is gonna be stopping transports to check for yeast activity, even if they did there would be wild yeast activity in the fresh pressed juice.

@Kindred Spirits I'm in agreement with you. Impossible to check or enforce. I mention TTB even though it doesn't apply to Galapagos Islands only because so many folks here ARE under the TTB regs. 

The point I was trying to make is that you don't want to put it on your website or marketing materials that you're pitching yeast outside your DSP if you're regulated by TTB (I have seen this...).

• Thumbs up 1

14 minutes ago, FIVE x 5 Consulting said:

@Kindred Spirits I'm in agreement with you. Impossible to check or enforce. I mention TTB even though it doesn't apply to Galapagos Islands only because so many folks here ARE under the TTB regs. 

The point I was trying to make is that you don't want to put it on your website or marketing materials that you're pitching yeast outside your DSP if you're regulated by TTB (I have seen this...).

Very true, and good point. I'm sure you have seen some sketchy things as well when it comes to SOPs at distilleries. Always best not to advertise it.

• Thumbs up 1