Precious Metals on Glass

Guppy

Use of Metallics on Bottles  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently or do you plan to use metallics on your bottle?

2. 2. If yes, how?

• Direct Print
    • Hot-Stamp
    • Spray Lacquer
    • Plaque or Medallion
    • Label
    • Not Using Metallics

This is my second installment in a series aimed to educate craft distillers on techniques available to make their products jump off the shelf. As stated in my previous article on spray lacquering, the final decision by the consumer is made at the point-of-purchase. This is the why the big guys put some much into their package designs and the reason you should too.

The connection is obvious; the presence of precious metals in a package projects an image of quality and prestige. Gold, silver, platinum, and bronze have been symbols of value since the dawn of time. So how do you incorporate this into your bottle design?

First, use metallics wisely; too much bling, bling can have the opposite effect. A single shiny gold of silver element will draw the eye so consider carefully what you want to draw attention to. What are your key selling points? Something in the process; Aged 10 Years, Triple Distilled, Small Batch, Hand-Crafted? Or perhaps regional information; 100% Organic Idaho Potatoes, Distilled in the Shenandoah Valley. An alternative is the use of ornate frames or borders. These will draw the eye to the intended element without actually being part of it.

Precious metals can also be integrated into screen printed text or graphics. Think of engraving marks on your product name or highlights within the feathers of an eagle. Integrating mixed mediums like this requires precision registration; make sure you discuss this with your bottle decorator (hint… hint…) early in the design stage.

Direct application of precious metals can simulate, when done properly, the look of a metal plaque or medallion. The advantages are efficiency in application and consistency in placement. Of course, in some instances, an actual plaque or medallion may work best. In these cases it is very important to test adherence and resistance to both your product and abrasion that can occur in filling and transportation. We can perform these tests in our lab even if you choose to hand apply yourself.

The exception to the Rule of Moderation is metallic spray lacquering. This is done to make the glass bottle look like it’s actually made of metal. In addition to the various precious metals, color can be added to create a finish similar what is commonly seen on cars.

We at Decotech are experts in applying precious metals to glass using a variety of different processes. In addition we offer frosting, spraying, printing, stamping, decaling, labeling, gluing and graphic design, all performed under a single roof. If you would like to learn more about how we can help your product get noticed, please call me, Dave Desai, at 201-569-1900 x.103, or e-mail me at dave.desai@decotech-inc.com.

Cheers!

Guest Bonanza

Hi Dave

In the poll is a mistake, it's required to select both poll options but you ask in the second: "If so" and also ask "how was it applied", both doesn't fix if you didn't use it.

You might wanna change it to "how did or would you apply it"

Joe

Hi Dave

In the poll is a mistake, it's required to select both poll options but you ask in the second: "If so" and also ask "how was it applied", both doesn't fix if you didn't use it.

You might wanna change it to "how did or would you apply it"

Joe

Thanks for pointing that out. I added a "Not Using Metallics" to the second part of the poll. I did not see a way to make if optional or dependant on the first question.