Explosion Proof Motor

DB Holding

I'm from the microbrewery world so forgive my ignorance on this one.

I contacted my mill supplier for a distillery build and he mentioned that he thought that maybe a mill in a distillery would require an explosion proof motor on it. I know that pumps moving distilled alcohol need to be explosion proof but what about the other motors; CIP, liquor back, wort wash transfer, mill. I'm designing the facility to have the usual separations; mill room, boiler room as well as separating the storage, still, wash and ferm rooms and thought that this would be sufficient. What's everyones experience and advice?

I'm from the microbrewery world so forgive my ignorance on this one.

I contacted my mill supplier for a distillery build and he mentioned that he thought that maybe a mill in a distillery would require an explosion proof motor on it. I know that pumps moving distilled alcohol need to be explosion proof but what about the other motors; CIP, liquor back, wort wash transfer, mill. I'm designing the facility to have the usual separations; mill room, boiler room as well as separating the storage, still, wash and ferm rooms and thought that this would be sufficient. What's everyones experience and advice?

It's a local matter. I can say that, for safety's sake, I use one. The locals will be much more skiddish about a hammer mill than they will be for a brewing mill.....Im sure that you know the old rule of thumb when discussing brewer's mills with the Fire and Building Departments: always call it a grain "crusher", not a mill, since, as you also know, a brewer's mill doesn't yield even a fraction of the dust that a hammer mill does.

So, I'd contact your FD and Building Department before I bought anything. They could make you do nothing, or they could ask you to build an isolated room with explosion proof lighting.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Denver Distiller is correct. It is a local issue in most places, but here in KY it is both local and state. Our codes require explosion proof motors, lighting, switches, etc. at a distance of 25 feet or less to any vessel or apparatus that holds or processes alcohol. Your electrical engineers should know your codes off the top of their head, if not, run, and find someone else.