Direct Unit Costs for Whisky

NathanAEmery

In my opinion, there is no simple answer to your question. There are a larger number of factors (e.g. production volume, raw materials cost, type of whiskey, barrel sizes, overhead, financial sources/interest, type of still (steam vs. electric), local utility costs, etc... etc.... etc...) that enter into production costs. This leads to many different combinations and therefore numerous answers to your question. I would recommend building a algorithm that incorporates all these variables and run numerous iterations until you can find a viable business solution. Good luck!

In my opinion, there is no simple answer to your question. There are a larger number of factors (e.g. production volume, raw materials cost, type of whiskey, barrel sizes, overhead, financial sources/interest, type of still (steam vs. electric), local utility costs, etc... etc.... etc...) that enter into production costs. This leads to many different combinations and therefore numerous answers to your question. I would recommend building a algorithm that incorporates all these variables and run numerous iterations until you can find a viable business solution. Good luck!

I know. I'm just looking for one data set.

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan- I just want to let you know that asking for detailed info, spreadsheets, plans, etc. is not what this site is about. No one is going to just hand you this info on a platter. As others have said, much of this info is site and situation dependent. Also much of this info has been developed at great cost and isn't going to be given away free.

• 1 month later...
Guest Liberty Bar - Seattle

Hello,

Does anyone have a simple breakdown of direct unit (case) costs for whisky? I understand that depending on type and place these numbers will be different. I have Bill Owens' book. Just looking for more detailed numbers. Thank you very much in advance!

Hey there, Nathan.

I wish that I had that info for you. While this is a very competitive industry, many here in Washington share much of our info and work together - must be something about being stuck up here all by ourselves - so I will put the word out and see if anyone would like to help you out.

I wish you luck with your endeavors, and please check back in as you get further down the line.

Andrew