Hey Y'all From Richmond, Virginia

Hi y'all,

My name is Brooks and I have been wanting to get into distilling for quite some time now and just joined this forum today and so far have been very excited with the sense of community here and also from the wealth of information. Aside from asking the million dollar question, "How do I start a distillery and make millions of dollars?", my first question would be to the people of the Commonwealth, "how difficult was it to get started in Virginia?" I have been reading some VAABC laws and tax info and I can see it is definitely going to be some work, but how much resistance did you get from Virginia?

Thanks for your time and any information and I am really looking forward to reading more about this journey for the perfect spirit!

Brooks

"how difficult was it to get started in Virginia?" I have been reading some VAABC laws and tax info and I can see it is definitely going to be some work, but how much resistance did you get from Virginia?

I wouldn't say we got any "resistance" in Virginia. On the licensing side, they were pretty easy to work with. You just have to read the rules and apply properly.

On the retail and distribution side, again, no "resistance", but like any new customer, you have to tell a compelling story for why they should carry your product. It needs to be different, interesting, tasty, etc. etc. etc. You have to answer the question, "why should I care?" to a group of people who aren't as jazzed about your dream-come-true as you are.

Also, review the Virginia laws about whether or not you can do sales on-site. That is probably the biggest factor that could affect your success. Review it carefully.

You can have an on-site store in Virginia if:

1. You own land in Virginia which produces 51% of the grain/fruit for your product

2. You rent land in Virginia " " " " " " "

3. You have a registered historic building

4. You have a museum

Good luck.