Open Cypress Wood Ferementer

I recently found some cypress wood fermenters for sale and am looking for feedback regarding their use before we consider buying them. 

I have never fermented in anything other than glass or stainless. Thank you for any help.

• Thumbs up 1

There are a couple questions you should ask first.

First off, are these the right size for the equipment you have to make sure you are running an efficient distillery. Second if they are the right size, are there enough of them to handle your desired production goals?

If those things are all good then it goes on to the fowllowing:

How clean is your DSP?  What equipment do you have for cleaning these fermenters? Do you plan on using chemicals to prevent bacterial growth when not being used?

How much extra work do you want to make for yourself?

These types of fermenters typically need to be kept full of ferments to maintain a level of cleanliness.  Keeping them full of ferments there typically will be enough going on with the yeast and the final ABV to prevent issues.

They are also typically round, so they would take up more space than a standard rectangular fermenter.

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2023 at 4:59 PM, Kindred Spirits said:

There are a couple questions you should ask first.

First off, are these the right size for the equipment you have to make sure you are running an efficient distillery. Second if they are the right size, are there enough of them to handle your desired production goals?

If those things are all good then it goes on to the fowllowing:

How clean is your DSP?  What equipment do you have for cleaning these fermenters? Do you plan on using chemicals to prevent bacterial growth when not being used?

How much extra work do you want to make for yourself?

These types of fermenters typically need to be kept full of ferments to maintain a level of cleanliness.  Keeping them full of ferments there typically will be enough going on with the yeast and the final ABV to prevent issues.

They are also typically round, so they would take up more space than a standard rectangular fermenter.

I realize this thread is a little dated but I'm also considering wood since my ultimate goal is to (as much as can practically be accomplished) replicate a traditional Scottish distillery and focus on American Single Malt. @kindredspirits it sounds like you have had some experience with wood. Can you expound a bit on proper cleaning on these guys? I've always heard that's the main drawback. But it can't be insurmountable or surely the scotch industry would have moved on (and I realize some have). The aspect of keeping them full as much as possible makes sense for sure. Any other insight is much appreciated.

7 hours ago, Hamilton1980 said:

I realize this thread is a little dated but I'm also considering wood since my ultimate goal is to (as much as can practically be accomplished) replicate a traditional Scottish distillery and focus on American Single Malt. @kindredspirits it sounds like you have had some experience with wood. Can you expound a bit on proper cleaning on these guys? I've always heard that's the main drawback. But it can't be insurmountable or surely the scotch industry would have moved on (and I realize some have). The aspect of keeping them full as much as possible makes sense for sure. Any other insight is much appreciated.

I noticed you were in WNC, I'm over in Wilmington myself. How about we jump on a call next week. Its a lot easier to discuss over the phone.