Jump to content

  • 1

bulk losses of spirits

Guest mrwhisky


Guest mrwhisky

Howdy all

I have a total loss of 160 proof gallons of gns. I cant find the regulation or form to file or if I need to. 80 of it was from a gaugeing of a tote of gns.

What todo next??

Me whisky

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0


The appropriate path forward depends on the liquid account where the loss took place (production, storage or processing) as well as the particular circumstances of the loss.

Regulation is here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/19.462

You may need to report the loss to TTB and you may need to pay taxes on the loss.

You are looking at 160 * $2.70 = $432 in potential tax liability.  I usually advise my clients to weigh the time/hassle of trying to get that amount waived vs just paying it and moving on.  If financially feasible, I would probably advise reporting as a loss and paying the excise tax on it - out of an abundance of caution.

Grab a free 20-minute consultation if you'd like to discuss further.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Google search TTB F56208. Should be a PDF form that comes up as the first link.

Fill this out as a remission of tax and mail it to the National Revenue Center.

You can file the claim under 27 CFR 19.263.


We had to do this after a storage loss from a damaged tank. They should mail it back to you in a couple weeks or so with their decision based on what caused the loss. 

Hope this helps.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...