Which books are worth the investment?

I’m at the point where I feel like I’ve read all the books recommended that cost <$50. 
I’m looking into a few other books in the $100-$250 range. Mix of new and used, but I think the used ones are that expensive due to scarcity. 
I am willing to put the money into the books, as I see them as an investment and reference text but does anyone have any recommendations?

I’m looking at the following:

Whiskey Science: A Condensed Distillation by Gregory Miller

Distilled Spirits edited by Annie Hill & Frances Jack

Brewing and Distilling Yeasts by Graham Stewart

Distillers Grains: Production, Properties, & Utilization edited by KeShun Lui & Kurt Rosentrater

Batch Distillation: Science and Practice by Matt Strickland

The Alcohol Textbook by D.R. Kelsall

Any others I should add to the list?

I personally have "The Alcohol Textbook" and "Batch Distillation". Both are great books, The alcohol textbook is more focused on industrial fuel alcohol and plants focusing on that. Batch distillation is a great general overview of the processes, but you might have gotten a lot of the information from other books you have read.

I am an engineer by formal training, so I have quite a few books on the engineering side of the process, not sure if you would be interested in them as they can be a bit overwhelming at times without dedicated study. Definitely not casual "plane" reading.

Absolutely love Batch Distillation, check out Matt Strickland's other book, "Cask Management for Distillers", excellent read if you plan on aging anything in wood. I had the privilege of meeting and speaking to Matt at this past year's ADI.

What are you making mostly?

Cheers,

Chris

7 hours ago, TwentySevenBrewing said:

Absolutely love Batch Distillation, check out Matt Strickland's other book, "Cask Management for Distillers", excellent read if you plan on aging anything in wood. I had the privilege of meeting and speaking to Matt at this past year's ADI.

What are you making mostly?

Cheers,

Chris

I will add Cask Management to the list, that one is only $65 new thats a little more palatable. Batch Distillation is $150+ at the moment so was trying to decide if these prices were worth it. 

Potentially in the next few years (researching and writing a business plan now) I plan to do some brandy (hopefully partner with local vineyard, in discussions with them), experimental craft whiskies, light/white whiskey to bring in some cash off the bat. All while trying to pack away bourbon the first few years, contract GNS for gin & Vodka as i want to focus more whiskey and brandy. However I’m also aware that i need cash flow coming in to be sustainable. So I’m trying to get over the ego part of not being able to say “We distill all our own spirits” but that will come in due time I’m sure. 

So we’ll see how it all pans out but thats the general plan now. Currently in talks with our county zoning department as they really don’t want to put a “farm distillery” in an agriculturally zoned plat. Wisconsin doesn’t have a Farm Distillery designation as other states do and there is some hesitancy from our zoning department to rezone Ag to Commercial. I also am bootstrapping this so I can’t make a fatal mistake like buying property that can’t be rezoned. So I guess we’ll see how this goes. Luckily WI does have some more relaxed rules on tasting rooms and retail bottle sales. 

I see "Batch Distillation" on Amazon now for $55?? Good luck man, we are hoping to open by end of year, but that's what I said last June...Taking our time, can only make a first impression once.

6 hours ago, TwentySevenBrewing said:

I see "Batch Distillation" on Amazon now for $55?? Good luck man, we are hoping to open by end of year, but that's what I said last June...Taking our time, can only make a first impression once.

Oh bizarre. I will double check maybe i am recalling incorrectly. After I finish “How to Brew” by John Palmer i’ll be looking for my next one 

Good luck to ya on your future endeavors!

Palmer's book is awesome. I have both editions and have used them often. His book on water is amazing as well. Takes some time to work through it, but vey helpful, especially for brewing. He's a good dude as well, down to earth and willing to talk about anything.

Cheers