Breaking in to distilling as a career

Howdy all,

I'm looking for help breaking into the professional side of distilling and I would love some recommendations on how to do that... it's not like I can put hobby distiller on a resume.

Thanks in advance,

Any distilleries near you? Go talk to the distillers. Mention you know how to distill or make beer/wine. In the mean time, work on becoming sufficient in plumbing, electrical, and anything that could be handy to being a distiller. 
get a job at a distillery working in their bar if they don’t have a production opening. Work your way into the back by helping with tasks. Breweries seem to be hiring more for brewers, you won’t distill but it’s a great skill to have and the experience of cleaning, grunt work will be vital to a distillery job. 
I sought out opportunities outside my state and country. Working anywhere I could to get distillery experience. 

Edit- being a distiller is a small part distilling/brewing knowledge and mostly putting out plumbing/electrical fires. It’s a lot of grunt work and not for everyone. Good luck on your search. 

Thanks, that makes sense. I've reached out to the distilleries in my area, they aren't open to have someone around that isn't on the payroll and aren't looking to hire right now.

I grew up working in the trades and was a handyman for a few years. I've worked in utility construction as an rf engineer for the last 20 years, with the last 10 spent in project planning and management. I'm pretty confident I could fix just about anything that comes up and what I dont know, I could probably figure out.

At this point I'm ready to leave AZ for a new state... honestly, I just need someone willing to give me a shot.

Man that’s tough. Distilleries around here are very open to perspective distillers. Seems you have a very good background for the work as well. The easiest way is probably out of state and waiting it out till a job comes available az. It took me a year or so to get a job at a distillery. I also got very lucky it opened up