What is Going on With American Single Malt?

My apologies if there is something I am missing, but I haven't been able to find any information on the TTB's proposed American Single Malt definition or a release date. I can't find anything in the TTB Public Guidance section, the Class/Type designations and the Chapter 4 Class/Type resource is still listed as 04/2007. The last mention of anything was a flurry of articles written in Spring 2023 and a docket update stating "01/00/2024" as the final rule date, but nothing since. Does anyone have any insight into when or if this standard will be made public?

Additionally, I know a lot of distillers have gotten approval for the term on their products, so I am wondering what, if any guidance was given during the COLAs process. I would hate to go through the process of label revision, approval and printing just to find out the products don't meet the published standard.

Nothing's officially changed yet. I expect a final rule in 2024 but there's no guarantee.

Till then, old "Malt Whiskey" requirements would generally apply: Whisky produced at not exceeding 80% alcohol by volume (160 proof) from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent malted barley and stored at not more than 62.5% alcohol by volume (125 proof) in charred new oak containers

• Thumbs up 1