SAFE CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS

Hello All,

I have a question regarding the required clearance for our HVAC spiral duct work above our still. I am somewhat familiar with the "Sombrero of Death" and NFPA 497. I am assuming that this duct work would be a potential static source. Am I correct in that assumption? Are there any other concerns I should have with the duct work, is there some sort of wrapping that would help, or do we just need to have the 5 foot barrier recommended by NFPA 497 and the DISCUS suggested guide? Thanks for any help

Chris

Best to stick with the 5 foot clearance around the still with anything electrical. If there is a duct that is supplying air flow near the still it is not a worry, but a return or anything electrical I would avoid.

On 6/8/2024 at 12:15 PM, TwentySevenBrewing said:

Hello All,

I have a question regarding the required clearance for our HVAC spiral duct work above our still. I am somewhat familiar with the "Sombrero of Death" and NFPA 497. I am assuming that this duct work would be a potential static source. Am I correct in that assumption? Are there any other concerns I should have with the duct work, is there some sort of wrapping that would help, or do we just need to have the 5 foot barrier recommended by NFPA 497 and the DISCUS suggested guide? Thanks for any help

Chris

Typically supply spiral ductwork is either lined or wrapped to prevent condensation from forming and dripping on what's below. I wouldn't worry about static electricity from metal ductwork because it is typically attached to structure with metal hangers which would ground it.

I would recommend terminating the HVAC run earlier if can be done, so as not to get in the way of all of the piping (Steam/Water/CIP) associated with a still. That just keeps things simple, looks cleaner, and then you won't have to worry about anything dripping on the equipment either which would be a pain to keep looking shiny.

On 6/12/2024 at 9:54 AM, Kindred Spirits said:

Typically supply spiral ductwork is either lined or wrapped to prevent condensation from forming and dripping on what's below. I wouldn't worry about static electricity from metal ductwork because it is typically attached to structure with metal hangers which would ground it.

I would recommend terminating the HVAC run earlier if can be done, so as not to get in the way of all of the piping (Steam/Water/CIP) associated with a still. That just keeps things simple, looks cleaner, and then you won't have to worry about anything dripping on the equipment either which would be a pain to keep looking shiny.

Thank you sir, appreciate your help. 

Chris