Definition of Distillery Titles

Cutty

All,

I would like to know what are the requirements to hold the title of 'Master Distiller' and 'Head Distiller'. Am I correct to assume, the only qualification for the title of 'Master Distiller' is: responsibility for the product, from receiving the grain to the final bottling, and the title of 'Head Distiller' implies a responsibility for a subset of the Master Distiller's responsibilities starting with the end of fermentation through the end of distillation, under the supervision of the Master Distiller? Are there any additional requirements to be titled a 'Master Distiller' such as length of time in occupation, certification, etc..., or is it a matter for each distillery to decide independently who can hold the title?

Thanks, Ian

There are no rules or regulations on this.

All,

I would like to know what are the requirements to hold the title of 'Master Distiller' and 'Head Distiller'. Am I correct to assume, the only qualification for the title of 'Master Distiller' is: responsibility for the product, from receiving the grain to the final bottling, and the title of 'Head Distiller' implies a responsibility for a subset of the Master Distiller's responsibilities starting with the end of fermentation through the end of distillation, under the supervision of the Master Distiller? Are there any additional requirements to be titled a 'Master Distiller' such as length of time in occupation, certification, etc..., or is it a matter for each distillery to decide independently who can hold the title?

Thanks, Ian

I believe that the title "Master or Head" Distiller to be subject to a great deal of variability and not defined by a governing body nor consistently defined by any accepted cultural practices. Personally, I fit the definition of what you defined as “Master Distiller”. However, I’m not sure I’ll ever be good enough to bestow the title Master Distiller on myself. I feel that “Master Distiller” as a title should be more than just the end to end product owner. This is where art meets craft with a little magic thrown in. I think for the moment, I want my title to be “Break Even Distiller” moving my way up to “Profitable distiller”. That may give me sufficient time to work up to “Master Distiller”.

I love Kens path to Master Distiller! I just put myself as Head Distiller on my cards, I'm not going to call myself Master Distiller for awhile and have made more than vodka, schnapps, and brandy.. =P

Cheers!

John

Forward Brands Distillery

Phoenix, Az

I am simply giddy to a "distiller." I am fortunate enough to also be the owner of a very small distillery.

"Master" suggests a mastery of a particular study or "art" (I have earned two Master's degrees but not related to the Art of Distillation).

"Head" might either be a supervisory position or a teacher of potential Masters.

Neither of these two hats would I feel comfortable wearing at this time. Maybe in another decade or so.

Most engineering experts say you need 10,000 repititions to master anything, so I'll be keeping my title at president/head distiller for quite a while. I don't think I have the ego to call myself the master of anything even after the 10k level, but will accept the praise if thrown my way.

I'm glad Andrew linked to that old thread. I just want to point out that the article of mine that begins it was written three years ago. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since and I think most of our opinions on this matter have evolved. That said, the word "master" still implies mastery, which is hubristic to claim at the beginning of your journey.

All, Looks like I am 2-3 years late on this topic. Thanks for the responses. Calling myself "Master Distiller" didn't quite feel right, but at the same time I didn't want to sell myself short. Ken got me thinking for a minute, but I decided against my true title of "Unprofitable-Novice Distiller" It just doesn't quite role off the tongue right. I think I'll stick with "Owner and Distiller"

All, Looks like I am 2-3 years late on this topic. Thanks for the responses. Calling myself "Master Distiller" didn't quite feel right, but at the same time I didn't want to sell myself short. Ken got me thinking for a minute, but I decided against my true title of "Unprofitable-Novice Distiller" It just doesn't quite role off the tongue right. I think I'll stick with "Owner and Distiller"

Good stuff Cutty.