Varieties of Distillers Grains to Plant?

I know this has come up before, but with little information. I am deciding upon what varieties of each grain to plant on our farm distillery this year. I'm putting into production about 70 acres of mixed grains: corn, wheat, rye, barley (for malting), maybe some millet and triticale.

I have found some information on corn, barley, and wheat, mostly in Russell's Whiskey book; and some internet research. I would like to hear what varieties of each type you folks are using for distilling. The following are some prefferred distillers grains.

Corn

Standard Yellow Dent Corn

Standard White Dent Corn

Barley- for malting

In the UK:

Winter- Regina

Spring- Decanter; Chalice, Chariot, Derkado, Optic, Prisma

USA:

Wheat

Soft Wheat- Riband; Consort, Claire

Soft White or Red Winter Wheat Varieties

(No hard varieties such as Durum or Hard Red Spring)

Not much luck with the following.

Rye

I can't find any modern info on rye varieties

(19th century varieties- Sunnyside and Pennsylvania)

Millet- No info about best for distilling

Tritical- (Hybrid of wheat and rye) No info about best for distilling

You'd be surprised at how little wholesalers/brokers know about grain varieties. Unless speak directly with a farmer, you're going to get a glazed over look when you ask "what kind of rye is this".

I'd contact North Dakota's ag extension office. Most new varieties of grain for brewing/distilling comes out of there, and they're really the big research arm for small grains. I have a brewing friend who obtained his PhD there. He left after getting his Doctorate, so I don't have any contacts there anymore.

I'd also give Cornell's Ag extension a call. They should be a big help to your NY operation.

Here's a link to ND's small grains page.... http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/smgrains/

Oh, and I should add that you should contact Inge Russell (from your whiskey book) herself. She's a neat lady, and is always interesting in helping us little guys. IngeRussell@sympatico.ca

Cheers.

Most of the rye being grown in NY seems to be simply cover crop rye. Doesn't come with a variety.

For corn, search for heritage corn. You'll find lots of different kinds. Whether they're good for distilling I don't know.

Rye cover crops are several varieties. Many heritage corsn are not good. Too high a protein, too low a stach.

Most of the rye being grown in NY seems to be simply cover crop rye. Doesn't come with a variety.

For corn, search for heritage corn. You'll find lots of different kinds. Whether they're good for distilling I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...