Hello from South Africa - 3rd world with 1st class distilleries.

BACKGROUND:

Started distilling as a hobby, got convinced to share some information on the web and started www.distillique.co.za ...since then ... no hobby anymore but still great fun, especially the training courses we provide. Judging from the feedback we get from course participants, they enjoy it also A LOT. Currently we are the ONLY distilling supplier and training provider for home, craft and boutique distilleries in Southern Africa with more than 1400 signed up customers.

MOTIVATION:

As the laws in South Africa on distilling are relaxing a bit, and quite a number of legislative change proposals have been approved, (but not yet promulgated) we expect the home, craft and boutique distilling industry to really take off in South Africa within the next two years. ...and now is the time to become entrenched as the leading supplier of distilling equipment, supplies and training in the Southern Africa region!

EXPECTATIONS:

It is my expectation to network with ADI members to source suppliers and create opportunities for distillers and suppliers from the US... If you would like to expand your geographic footprint into Southern Africa... do contact me to discuss possibilities. I am sure we could assist you to expand your sales. We already do that for a number of international manufacturers. (I.e. Megahome stills (Taiwan), Prestige consumables(Sweden), AL-ambic pot stills (Portugal), Amphora Society (Mike McGraw - USA))

A BIT ABOUT DISTILLING AND SOUTH AFRICA:

1. The biggest brandy distillery in the Southern Hemisphere (if not the world) is run by KWV in South Africa with 120 massive potstills

2. AMARULA, a cream liqueur made from wild marula fruit is exported globally and perhaps the best known brand.

3. Home distilling is allowed (for own use only) just by obtaining an annual permit (Costs the equivalent of US$ 0.13 - yes, 13 US cents.)

4. A BIG MAC burger costs about US$3.00

5. We pay the equivalent of US$13.39 in TAXES on 1 litre of absolute alcohol, however, very good (Internationally awarded) 21 year old brandies will cost anywhere from US$34.00 to $100.00 (top grade)per 750ml bottle.

6. During the last year we have trained more than 200 distillers on pot stills, reflux column stills and other.

7. The largest distilling plant in South Africa is operated by SASOL, streching over many, many square miles with a town (Secunda) build for the staff operating the plant. - however, this plant produces gasoline from coal (the fischer Tropfh process)...and they don't want to convert it to whiskey or brandy!

8. The Traditional South African version of fruit brandy is called MAMPOER which is an un-aged fruit brandy made mainly from apricots or peaches (but other fruits are also used) and distilled to fairly fiery levels (55-65%abv).

Cheers! This one is on the ADI!

Gert

Gert and Robert - Please contact me at david@microdistillerybooks.com

David

BACKGROUND:

Started distilling as a hobby, got convinced to share some information on the web and started www.distillique.co.za ...since then ... no hobby anymore but still great fun, especially the training courses we provide. Judging from the feedback we get from course participants, they enjoy it also A LOT. Currently we are the ONLY distilling supplier and training provider for home, craft and boutique distilleries in Southern Africa with more than 1400 signed up customers.

MOTIVATION:

As the laws in South Africa on distilling are relaxing a bit, and quite a number of legislative change proposals have been approved, (but not yet promulgated) we expect the home, craft and boutique distilling industry to really take off in South Africa within the next two years. ...and now is the time to become entrenched as the leading supplier of distilling equipment, supplies and training in the Southern Africa region!

EXPECTATIONS:

It is my expectation to network with ADI members to source suppliers and create opportunities for distillers and suppliers from the US... If you would like to expand your geographic footprint into Southern Africa... do contact me to discuss possibilities. I am sure we could assist you to expand your sales. We already do that for a number of international manufacturers. (I.e. Megahome stills (Taiwan), Prestige consumables(Sweden), AL-ambic pot stills (Portugal), Amphora Society (Mike McGraw - USA))

A BIT ABOUT DISTILLING AND SOUTH AFRICA:

1. The biggest brandy distillery in the Southern Hemisphere (if not the world) is run by KWV in South Africa with 120 massive potstills

2. AMARULA, a cream liqueur made from wild marula fruit is exported globally and perhaps the best known brand.

3. Home distilling is allowed (for own use only) just by obtaining an annual permit (Costs the equivalent of US$ 0.13 - yes, 13 US cents.)

4. A BIG MAC burger costs about US$3.00

5. We pay the equivalent of US$13.39 in TAXES on 1 litre of absolute alcohol, however, very good (Internationally awarded) 21 year old brandies will cost anywhere from US$34.00 to $100.00 (top grade)per 750ml bottle.

6. During the last year we have trained more than 200 distillers on pot stills, reflux column stills and other.

7. The largest distilling plant in South Africa is operated by SASOL, streching over many, many square miles with a town (Secunda) build for the staff operating the plant. - however, this plant produces gasoline from coal (the fischer Tropfh process)...and they don't want to convert it to whiskey or brandy!

8. The Traditional South African version of fruit brandy is called MAMPOER which is an un-aged fruit brandy made mainly from apricots or peaches (but other fruits are also used) and distilled to fairly fiery levels (55-65%abv).

Cheers! This one is on the ADI!

Gert