IBD vs ICBD

Dan P.

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can offer a comparison between the courses offered by the ICBD and the IBD?

Further to that, to what extent are they an advantage when seeking a placement at a distillery?

As I have noted in my introductory message, I am interested in a career in distillation. My plan as it stands at the moment is to look for an internship type of placement and/or get a qualification from one of the bodies mentioned above, with a view to gaining employment in the industry and eventually perhaps setting up on my own.

I am located in the UK, but have family in the US and am of a mind to pursue a career in that country.

I have already had some very generous feedback from members of this site, but would love to hear whatever advice as can be offered.

-Dan

Good question. The IBD exams can be written at the university here & I am looking to challenge them without taking the courses. UK is just too far for me to go. Any value in that piece of paper?

Good question. The IBD exams can be written at the university here & I am looking to challenge them without taking the courses. UK is just too far for me to go. Any value in that piece of paper?

The training part of the IBD courses is expensive and appears to add up to, as far as I can tell, a four day course, which does not seem adequate to qualify as "training". I have been told that the IBD examinations are hard, however, which is good. They are also not horribly expensive, in GB Pounds, at least.

The ICBD course(s), on the other hand, appear to be a more substantial affair, but I have not come across anyone with experience of them.

There may also be others that we don't know about?

-Dan

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can offer a comparison between the courses offered by the ICBD and the IBD?

Further to that, to what extent are they an advantage when seeking a placement at a distillery?

As I have noted in my introductory message, I am interested in a career in distillation. My plan as it stands at the moment is to look for an internship type of placement and/or get a qualification from one of the bodies mentioned above, with a view to gaining employment in the industry and eventually perhaps setting up on my own.

I am located in the UK, but have family in the US and am of a mind to pursue a career in that country.

I have already had some very generous feedback from members of this site, but would love to hear whatever advice as can be offered.

-Dan

Hello,

It's really quite straightforward:

ICBD (International Centre for Brewing and Distilling) is part of the Life Sciences Faculty of Heriot Watt University, (HWU) which is based on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

It (HWU) offers undergraduate and Post graduate courses for full time students. At the end of the course, you hope to graduate with a BSc, MSc etc. and then go off to find a Drinks company which will employ you.

IBD (Institute of Brewing and Distilling) is the professional institute for those already in the drinks industry. It runs ongoing education for members at different levels.

The more basic certificate level is for non technical people (eg sales or finance) or for those with no graduate qualifications, including operators.

The Diploma of Brewing or Distilling is mainly for graduates already employed in the industry but recognises that diverse disciplines enter the drinks business (eg Engineers, Chemists, Biochemists) so a tailored syllabus requires to be studied. (Modules cover mashing, fermentation, distillation and also packaging etc.) The assumption is that you are already in the industry and are doing practical rather than theoretical application of brewing/distilling activities.

Some of the larger companies (Diageo, Wm Grants) will run their own internal training.

The four day course referred to in one of the posts, run by industry experts, is meant as a pre exam refresher, rather than a teaching of the syllabus. It gives candidates from smaller companies a chance to check out activities they may not have experienced personally. (eg a malt distiller may be less experienced in grain distilling)

Passing the Diploma shows the candidate has reached an industry wide recognised standard of knowledge across most of the activities required for Brewing or Distilling.

The examinations can be sat in a wide number of locations globally. They are meant to challenge the candidate's knowledge of the subject.

So neither "bit of paper" represents an automatic route to a career in the industry. The former (ICBD) is an academic qualification (albeit more practical than many) and the latter (IBD) is a professional body encouraging Continuing Professional Development amongst its members.

Hope this helps you.

Alan Wolstenholme

Distilling Consultant and IBD Examiner.

Caledonian Solutions Ltd, Scotland