Rye Malt

JohninWV

If I make a product with 60% rye malt, and the rest corn, can I call it rye whiskey?

I'm unclear whether the 51% rye qualifier includes malted grains or not.

If so, I assume on the production reports (page 2), I would list this as rye grain, not as malt even though it has been malted. For this reason, I wonder if I haven't answered my own question.

The book says:

"Bourbon whisky", "rye whisky", "wheat whisky", "malt whisky", or "rye malt whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

I believe you could call it rye whisky or rye malt whisky. Further:

Whiskies conforming to the standards prescribed [...] which have been stored in the type of oak containers prescribed, for a period of 2 years or more shall be further designated as "straight"; for example, "straight bourbon whisky", "straight corn whisky".

Note that it says "shall be further designated" not may be. How strict they are on that particular point, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps some.

John, malt is malt. In your 60% rye malt recipe the rye malt gets shown in the malt column, not the rye grain column.

Are you sure that malt is malt? Seems like malt is barley malt, unless it is preceded by a different grain type, such as "rye malt".