Greetings from Patagonia, Argentina

Hello folks. I am an American, born in Idaho and now living in Central Patagonia Argentina. My Argentine business partner and I are in the infancy stages of planning our craft distillery. The Argentines seem to have a firm grasp on the idea of micro-brews and new beers but only recently. However, to my knowledge a craft distillery does not exist. My only worry is that we are TOO far ahead of the curve.

Our plan is to make whiskey/whisky from all local ingredients. While the whiskey matures in oak we plan to try our hand at producing vodka and gin....

Tell me....am I crazy?!

If the local ingredients include good grains you're not any crazier than the rest of us, which may not be saying a lot, but still.

As an American with Welsh ancestry, I'm fascinated by Patagonia. Are you in Chubut? I've always had a theory that the Welsh "LL" sound influenced the Argentinian pronunciation, but haven't been able to dig up anything on it.

@Stone:

You obviously know a lot about where I am living which is the little Welsh town of Trevelin in the province of Chubut (as you already know). Interesting take on the LL pronunciation. I will have to look into that myself as I haven't ever heard that hypothesis as of yet. Incidentally, my mother's maiden name was Stone.

The particular area that I reside is well known for its grains. In fact the name of the town, Trevelin (Welsh=Trefelin)means "Mill Town" because of the extraordinarily high number of flour mills that were built in the area many years ago. I have an agreement with a local farmer to utilize his spring water and he has also agreed to provide the grains. This, of course, will be utilized in my marketing materials.

@kbkelleher

I couldn't agree more. It's difficult to steal 2nd base with your foot still on first.

Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement.