Testing proof after adding sugar

rkirk

We are very new to creating rum and have been trying to find a way to test the proof of our rum after adding sugar for our flavored rums. I know using a standard alcohometer won't work after adding sugar as I am sure everyone else does too. My question is how much of an effect does adding sugar to a 80 proof spirit really have and what is the best way to test it. We always carbon filter our spirit diluted to 80 proof before adding sugar. We know we can make simple syrup and add our sugar this way to get the proper proof but the flavor we produce is not what we are looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

You're going to have to do obscuration tests (in all likelihood). After doing enough of them, you'll know how much sugar you have to add and should be able to get it dead on (talking about adding sugar and knowing what the end proof will be). Look into some of the past postings on obscuration and/or proofing lab stills.

If you are adding sugar to vodka already at 80 proof, you cannot use the obscuration method. Adding sugar to 80 proof vodka brings the proof down below 80, obviously, and the obscuration method can only be used for proof ranges 80 - 100. Also, above 80 proof you can only use an obscuration up to 2.0 proof above apparent proof. Beyond that you will have to perform a laboratory distillation of a sample with apparatus described in the second link in the post above.