Use wine barrels?

hawk

We’ve gotten new 10-gallon barrels for aging our small quantities of apple brandy, but we’ve discovered that new barrels oak the spirits really fast. So we’re looking for old 50-gallon barrels to provide a more neutral environment for long-term aging.

Used brandy barrels would be ideal, but they’re hard to come by. An easy source is used wine barrels, but I wonder about whether their previous use for red wine will give too much wine taste to my spirit. Does anyone know if you can soak that out sufficiently?

Thanks,

Hawk

I'm pretty sure Rocky Mountain Barrel has once used 55 gal. brandy barrels for sale. Around $120 or so I believe. They are based in denver and I'm sure will ship to wherever.

Can't comment on the quality of a brandy aged in a former wine barrel (yet. I'm about to rack some over to one and find out though!).

rockymountainbarrelcompany.com

Red wine barrels will turn your spirits a reddish color. I know this from experience. Used chardonnay barrels work very well, and complement Brandy spirits. Within a few weeks the Brandy will turn a light golden color. I also prefer French oak, but it is a matter of taste.

Mick H.