Intro: Eric Watson

Hi!

I have been in the brewing industry for over 10 years serving as a manager, marketer, Brewmaster and Director of Brewery Operations for various organizations. Prior I owned and operated a fermentation microbiology business for 3 years. I am formally trained in fermentation science and beverage production via Siebel Institute of Technology, Weihenstephan (Munich, Germany) and VLB (Berlin). Additionally I hold a BS in Business Administration - Marketing from West Virginia University.

In 2006 I left the brewing industry to help a startup distillery with their business structuring, business plan, target market ID, product manufacturing decisions, equipment design and plant layout. Unfortunately the venture has been put on hold for a while so I moved back to my office in West Virginia. From there I had been consulting for organizations in both the brewing and distilling industry until 2008.

In 2008 I relocated to Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands to assist in the expansion and improvement of Cayman Island Distilleries, LTD. After significant plant upgrades and modernization, we re-launced the Cayman Islands only locally distilled spirit, Seven Fathoms Rum. Our super premium amber rum is made with local cane juice that is fermented spotaneously. Making us particularly unique, we are the only spirit producer that matures our spirits under water.... hence the name... Seven Fathoms (= 42 feet). This unique strategy works due to changing tidal pressures and constant motion of the maturation vessels. These two dimensions effectively increase the wood surface area that the spirit contacts. The outcome is a decidedly smooth rum with significant complexity highlighted by vanilla, honey and cinnamon notes.