How much GNS do you use monthly?

We're in the planning stages of our distillery and it would be incredibly helpful if we had some rough idea of how much GNS craft distillers go through on a monthly basis? (we realize it depends on product mix etc., we're interested in ball park #'s)

Also, in what volume do you purchase GNS? Barrels or Totes or other?

• 2 weeks later...

We don't use GNS at all, but if we did we would purchase it in wine totes. If you do use GNS, the amount you go through should be completely dependent on your production, which in turn depends on the size of your still, the number of days you plan to keep it in operation and what your end product will be - there is really no rule of thumb.

We don't use GNS at all, but if we did we would purchase it in wine totes. If you do use GNS, the amount you go through should be completely dependent on your production, which in turn depends on the size of your still, the number of days you plan to keep it in operation and what your end product will be - there is really no rule of thumb.

I have recently heard that the amount of spirits one can store, whether GNS or other proof alcohol (in bottles or raw ingredient) is entirely dependent on the size of one's bond, because being over bond is BAD.

I have recently heard that the amount of spirits one can store, whether GNS or other proof alcohol (in bottles or raw ingredient) is entirely dependent on the size of one's bond, because being over bond is BAD.

Yes - being over bond is definitely frowned upon :( -- to say the least!

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Liberty Bar - Seattle

Seems to me that the answer to this question is wholly dependent upon production. If one is making some simple vodka by re-running their GNS through their still, then their production would be a lot higher than someone making absinthe. Plus - does one have samples that one has taken around and gotten pre-sales? Has one ever distilled before?

That's like asking restaurateurs, "How much oil do you use monthly?". Too many variables to ever be able to answer that question so that it's relevant. What I would suggest is that you find who makes a similar product and ask THEM how much they go through if they are in the mood to help you out. That'd make more sense, would it not?

Seems to me that the answer to this question is wholly dependent upon production. If one is making some simple vodka by re-running their GNS through their still, then their production would be a lot higher than someone making absinthe.

That's like asking restaurateurs, "How much oil do you use monthly?".

For the record - the question was meant to be read as "how much do you use" period. How much currently do you use, if any, regardless of what you happen to use it for. Restaurants know on average how much cooking oil they are going through at a given point, if they don't then it would be a good idea to address their inventory systems so they do.