Best sequence from the bare room to an operating distillery?

Guardian's

I have just acquired a perfect location. I believe my next step is to procure equipment. Then on to licensure , bonding, and so on. My question is, "Is there a best sequence for events to minimize spend money too early in the process and having that expenditure tying up funds but not really currently needed". for example, if I apply for and get bonding but don't distill for 3 months, isn't that tying up money unnecessarily before it is really needed? The flip side might be spending money only to find down the road there is a problem with a bond, foe example. All opinions are welcomed.

If you live in the states... when you apply to TTB you will need your bond in place, so get them done at the same time. If you are VERY confident in your ability to receive your permit, then start building out. But, before you buy anything, have meetings and site reviews with your city, a fire protection engineer, state and DOA/food safety division person. You will most likely will have to put in floor drains and all the other regulation stuff. Make sure you stay within your F1 rating, so it's not a super big build out.

EDIT: the DOA/Food guy will most likely want you to seal coat the floor, it's best to do this when you're still at an empty room.

Good luck.

Basic Order of Events (not all is relevant to every site);

1. Confirm all building dimensions, DO NOT trust the plans, as built often has changes from original plans.
  2. Confirm location of all existing services
  3. Finalise floor plan, new service paths, traffic paths, changes to perimeter doors, PA doors, emergency exits
  4. Masonry work (still/tank plinths etc)
  5. If a used building, clean

1. Lights, windows, walls
    2. Horizontal dust traps

[*]High pressure wash out the entire building

[*]Seal the floor (good point)

[*]Seal windows, vermin paths, etc

[*]Mark out equipment locations, cages, etc

[*]Run services, trays and droppers

[*]Install equipment

[*]Mark out safety zones, paths, hazzard lines

Services, could include;

• Electricity (uninterrupted supply)
  • Electricity (non-essential)
  • Emergency cabling (lights, signs, shutdown switches, extractor fans, sirens)
  • Fire services (water/gas) Detector cables
  • Lighting, lighting switches
  • Gas lines
  • Town/potable water
  • Process water
  • Cooling circuits (water, glycol) Supply and Return
  • Town waste
  • Trade waste
  • Hot waste
  • Drain pits, wash down/wet areas
  • Alarm/CCTV
  • Process control cabling
  • Gas/Vapour detection cables or sampling pipes
  • Flues
  • Steam lines
  • Condensate lines
  • Compressed Air lines
  • Data/Telephone/Comms/PA

My key point is this, the installation of the services is where the real money can be, moving them due to bad floor-space plans is expensive. Plan, Plan and plan again.

As one starting through the process I am curious how early on you can actually submit your TTB application. Assuming you have a building, a floor plan with equipment locations detailed, a still serial number, a bond and local permitting taken care of can you then submit your license application or do you actually need the equipment on site?

In my experience, the TTB is the easy part. They are very helpful, and actually seem eager to get you through the hoops and want you creating taxable product. Getting through the various regulations specific to your city and country will be much more arduous. Just be patient and as deliberate about your plans as you can and enlist support of the community if possible. I hope to be fully operational in the next 90 days, so ask me again in 45 :)

jwymore, if you've got that you're well on your way. The things you need to pay for regarding TTB is your incorporation, state registration, building lease, Unit bond and your still for the still number. You can check with your still maker and maybe reserve a serial number and order it later if you wish. You do not need to build out the entire distillery before applying. The application precess can take up to 4-5 months, so you'll have plenty of time to build-out then.

jwymore, if you've got that you're well on your way. The things you need to pay for regarding TTB is your incorporation, state registration, building lease, Unit bond and your still for the still number. You can check with your still maker and maybe reserve a serial number and order it later if you wish. You do not need to build out the entire distillery before applying. The application precess can take up to 4-5 months, so you'll have plenty of time to build-out then.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Still working toward the lease and the still order but getting close. Luckily the city & county are anxious to have me on board so they are being very helpful so far with the local stuff. Incorporation and registration are done. Sounds like I can do the TTB & OLCC concurrently. Reality that this is happening is setting in!!