sulfited barrels

fldme

Interesting........I've heard of it as standard practice in the wine market. You sulphite the wine anyway and barrel treatment just means you can put the wine direct to barrel without sulphiting first. Just keeps things from growing it in if not used right away.

Guess it would be the same for spirits. If you don't use a barrel for 3 months after it's made it could grow things in it. I would think the sulphites could be rinsed out easily though.

I would be asking if those requesting the sulphited barrels were wine makers or distillers. I can't find a thing on using sulphites in whiskey barrels other than to preserve the barrel after using it with wine, then rinse out and use for whiskey. Which is what the Scots have been doing for their fine drink for many years.

Not sure who told you it can't be removed though. It leaches out with the water when rinsed. Not that I would buy a new one that way, but I would any used wine barrels to come that way so it would have a mold in them before I got to use them.

They were distillers. The barrels left here going to another distiller. Have you ever heard of all of the trouble Scottish distillers had with sulfites effecting their whiskey? And that is why they contract with sherry producers so that they get unsulfited barrels. That is the biggest thing hurting micros, misinformed people informing other potential distillers.

If you would list the name of the copper, I will attempt to find out from them their reasoning ( or what they have heard from thier customers ) as to the reason for the added sulfite. I would assume this addition is a "time sensitive" issue , ie there is nothing which will "outlive" the alcohol that eventually goes into an alcohol barrel , that the sulfite would prevent or kill. So the reasoning would seem to be a "preemptive" application while waiting for fill.

But as you so correctly point out, misinformation is our biggest threat, we should most certainly attempt to get to the bottom of issues like this. After all, maybe we should be sulfiting ?