Equipment recommendations needed

Lotusland49p

Looking for direction

My thought:

80 gallon Mashtun with Electric Heat (no open flame allowed).

80 gallon Fermenter

80 gallon Storage tanks

of course over time we will scale up as needed.

We are looking at the Istill 250 and the Istill 50 Visual

If any one can point us in the right direction we would appreciate it

Our Micro Distillery will produce 3500 - max 5000 cases per year

Too small to reach your goals.

When I plug your numbers into my production spreadsheets, and adjust for batch sizes, your 3500-5000 case production capacity looks like a long shot, and I'm assuming 6 pack cases of 750ml. Unless of course you are just redistilling GNS, but you look to be including a stripping and spirit still, mash tun, and fermenter.

Initially, you are going to be limited by fermentation capacity, next limiting factor will be the number of realistic production hours in a week. This, of course, assumes that labor is entirely free, since if you factor in labor costs, well...

from mash, 250 distilling days a year, you will want 300 gallons of capacity minimum to reach the lower end of these goals, if you're planning for 12 bottle cases.

Given the capacity OP posted what would a realistic output be given the same parameters? 300-500 cases?

Looking for direction

My thought:

80 gallon Mashtun with Electric Heat (no open flame allowed).

80 gallon Fermenter

80 gallon Storage tanks

of course over time we will scale up as needed.

We are looking at the Istill 250 and the Istill 50 Visual

If any one can point us in the right direction we would appreciate it

Our Micro Distillery will produce 3500 - max 5000 cases per year

I would say beware, If you don't want to get pushed into an H-1 classification by your local fire marshal make sure your storage tanks are 60 gallons or under so that you can stay an F-1.

After more thought and reading the posts we will up the fermentors to 3 so there will be Wash always ready for the Stills. as well we can always scale up - the big thing is to get the doors open and pass all the Fire Regs.

60 gallons Max ouch that is pretty small.

Cheers for all the input invaluable.

We were told that we were only allowed to store alcohol in containers 60 gallons or less in size. If you're storing mash in them you're probably safe because mash is too low of an alcohol content to be classified with the rest of the alcoholic beverages. (1b/1c). So if you're storing mash in them you can use bigger, if you're storing finished product in them the fire marshal is going to have an issue.

Also note that you are restricted to no more than 480 gallons of alcohol in any one containment area. We are getting around this by building three additional containment areas in our distillery. They have to be 1-hour rated rooms with sprinkler heads dropped into them and we can store 480 gallons in each of those. Note, there is an exception made for product under 62.5% abv that is stored in wooden casks or barrels and for product stored in retail containers less than 1.3 gallons in size. Without separated containment areas you are restricted to no more than 480 gallons as your Maximum Allowed Quantity (MAQ) stored in containers 60 gallons or less in size within in your distillery. This of course assumes you are going into a sprinkled building.

Bigger containers or larger amounts used for storage can push you from an F-1 classification to an H-1 classification which carries a lot more regulations.