tasting room design

Skip Rock

We are setting up our tasting room and I was curious how others have designed theirs. We are debating putting in a glass french door between the tasting room and the production area to separate the two. I'd like to keep the 9' doorway open but we've had concerns about noise, errant equipment wash down spray, smells, security issues as well as the ability to heat the tasting room since the production area is not heated.

I've been in a lot of winery's and brewpubs and have seen set-ups that were open as well as those with a door of some sort between the two. Each has its merits...

Since we have the ability to do tastings and sell our product I want to make sure it's designed well. A winery owning friend aptly calls his tasting/retail area his "profit center."

Thoughts?

Ryan

We chose to put a steel exterior door between the two areas treating it like it was special to enter into the DSP from the tasting room. No one is allowed in the production facility without supervision anyway so it made sense. We did put in a Nana Wall going from the tasting room to the patio that creates an open space.

We have taken the time to make a very nice tasting room, with beautiful hardwoods, bar, retail cabinets, TV with distillery images on a loop, etc. At least that's the plan. Should be finished in about two weeks....I hope the TTB gives me a permit before then.

In order to be in compliance with federal law, you cannot have your dsp and your tasting room as one open entity. You must have some sort of wall or permanent partition in order to separate the two (I would recommend you ask TTB before you go through with any construction to make sure that you will be in compliance with their standards). Bear in mind that DSP regs are different from wineries and brewpubs.

As Paul touched on, what applies to Brewery and winery does not often apply to Distilling.

Please, to everyone, on ALL things you question, check the TTB regulations, and your states regulations, you must have intimate knowledge of the regs. Just because someone speaks to you about an item, here on ADI Forum or casually outdside, does not make it correct. Do not get into the habit of interpreting the regs to your favor. Ask the TTB. They usually will be helpful. If you do not, it will cost you valuable time and money.

Paul,

I've seen a number of distilleries that do not have a wall or partition at all that separates the bonded premises from the non bonded premises...including tasting rooms, general premises, etc. In these cases, tape was used to show the different locations. Like you mentioned, I checked my plans with the TTB prior to construction even though I clearly had a permanent wall between the two. I thought checking was good just to be sure.

Both you and Bob nailed it; know the regs and ask where there is confusion or when you aren't clear.

Based on conversations that I've had with folks who want to open distilleries, bottom line is before you start filling out paperwork for you federal permit or purchasing equipment, know your regs from the federal level down to your local city/town or county. I had my local fire marshall come and check things out before I started construction so he could give me feedback on what we needed to do before we started investing thousands of dollars in work that needed to be done.

• 2 weeks later...

The same time I originally posted this I checked in with TTB. The response I got was "They need to be separated so that the public does not have easy access to the bonded premises. We definitely prefer walls and doors!" Not a yes or no answer but works for me. For my building adding a french door between the tasting room and production area is pretty easy so that is what I'm doing. Based on follow-up conversations I could make the case for a rope but the door also helps us with heating of the tasting room.

State inspector said that this is an often grey area with the TTB from his experience.

R-